Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

Physical disability

A physical disability is defined as a physical impairment, which has a substantial and long term effect on your ability to carry out day to day activities.

Anyone can become disabled, suddenly through accident, or gradually through illness, and some people are disabled from birth.

If you have a disability, you may find that you experience difficulties in a society that is not designed to meet your needs.

Further information about this can be found on the disability equality page.

You can find information about different organisations that can offer you support and advice in your local area on our Derbyshire Directory.

Has your everyday life become more difficult?

For some people, a simple aid may make all the difference, if everyday life is becoming more difficult.

There is information about different aids and adaptations.

Other people may need alterations to their homes and we can advise on this.

You may be able to get a disabled facilities grant towards the cost.

You can find out information about getting mobility aids such as wheelchairs from NHS Choices.

There are also a number of assistive technologies that can help you live a more independent life in your own home.

Help with household chores or personal assistance

We can advise you about getting home care to assist you with tasks such as washing and dressing and domestic tasks, if you need it.

More information about this is available in our help to live at home section where you can find out about different the personal care and support options available. If you need help with support to remain living independently you may also wish to consider employing your own personal assistant.

Our staying independent page contains information about other services that may help, including the Handy Van Network and Trusted Traders.

Leaving school

We can help you to think about your future.

If you need to use our services, we can make the necessary plans for your transition into adulthood.

Getting out and about

You may be finding it difficult to get out and take part in social, work or leisure activities.

We have information about travel and transport, including the Blue Badge scheme and disabled parking bays, as well as social, learning and volunteer opportunities.

The charity Accessible Derbyshire and the Peak District National Park both have websites which give details of places to visit in Derbyshire that are accessible for people with a disability.

Further advice about transport if you're disabled can be found on the GOV.UK website.

If you'd like to meet new people and take part in group activities equipped for people with disabilities, Leonard Cheshire offers group activities and social events where people with disabilities who are of working age can meet.

It also offers a one-to-one support service to help regain confidence in daily living skills, getting out and more.

You may need help to find a job or support with getting back to work.

People with severe disabilities may be restricted from getting out and about due to lack of appropriate toilet facilities. We have a list of Changing Places toilets in Derbyshire which provide private, well equipped spaces where people with complex needs and multiple disabilities can be changed with dignity.

Managing your money

If you have a disability you may be entitled to certain benefits.

There's more information about benefits on our legal and money matters section.

You can also contact our welfare benefits information and advice team.

Looking after your health

Eating well, taking exercise and making sure you look after your general health and wellbeing are all important.

You can find information and advice about this in our looking after yourself section.

We have designated health and wellbeing zones across the county which provide you with information about health and wellbeing.

Living with a disability may mean that you require specialist information and support about conditions and illnesses, or you may need further information on using health services, hospital stays or access to complimentary therapies.

Looking after your mental health is also important.

You can find out more information about this on our good mental health page.

Carers have needs too

If you have a carer, they may need support too.

We can offer a carer's assessment to look at how we might be able to support them.

This may be a break for a few hours, or putting people in touch with other carers.

Caring for someone gives useful information for carers, and people who are cared for.

Contacting us

If you need more information, want to talk to someone or feel you need more support, you can contact Call Derbyshire tel: 01629 533190.

You can contact Call Derbyshire to make a referral for an assessment.

This means you'll be contacted by a social worker or community care worker who will arrange to visit you to discuss your needs.

If you're eligible for a service, they'll work with you to agree a support plan to meet your goals and outcomes.