Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

Welfare benefits

Thousands of people in Derbyshire are missing out on benefits that are theirs by right. Sometimes the benefits system doesn't make it easy for you to understand the rules about benefits or how to claim the benefits you are entitled to.

We can help you find out about the benefits you're entitled to and how to claim, including:

  • carrying out a benefit check – are you receiving your full benefit entitlement?
  • which benefits to claim and how to claim them
  • payments being suspended or benefit claims ending
  • moving your existing benefits to a Universal Credit claim
  • challenging decisions made by the benefits authorities
  • preparing appeals and representing you at benefit tribunal hearings

If you disagree with a benefits decision time limits usually apply so you need to seek advice about challenging the decision right away.

To get help:

  • use our benefits self-assessment and information centre for further detail about benefits and other financial support
  • email:
  • tel: 01629 531535 Monday to Friday from 10am to midday and 2pm to 4pm - these are our new opening times starting from 7 May 2024.
  • print off the benefit check sheet attached to this page and send it to us at: Welfare Rights Service, County Hall Offices, Matlock DE4 3AG
  • if you have a social worker you can ask them to make a referral

Other local benefits advice

Citizens Advice and Derbyshire Unemployed Workers' Centres can also offer benefits advice and may be able to arrange a face-to-face appointment, particularly if you need help completing a benefit claim form.

Further help

Being on a low income can cause a lot of stress and worry. If you are struggling emotionally you can talk to the Samaritans at any time of the day or night, tel: 116 123.