Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

Welfare benefits news

The latest welfare rights service news.

Universal Credit (UC) expands to full service in Matlock and the High Peak from September 2018

The full service of Universal Credit becomes available in Jobcentres in the Matlock and High Peak areas on from 12 September 2018.

This means that if you are of working age and you need to make a new claim for:

  • Income Support
  • Income-Based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-Related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit (the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) call these ‘legacy benefits’)

You will usually have to make a claim for Universal Credit instead.

Universal Credit will not apply in all cases

If you or your partner are of pension age you are eligible to claim Pension Credit and not Universal Credit

Universal Credit does not replace any other benefits, and you can still claim Jobseeker’s Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance that you have earned through your National Insurance contributions.

If you have three or more children, in most cases you can’t claim UC at the moment and you will still claim ‘legacy benefits’. Seek advice if this applies to you.

Please also seek advice if you are in temporary accommodation, or accommodation where you receive care, support or supervision – you may still be entitled to claim Housing Benefit.

Legacy benefits will continue

If you are already claiming one or more ‘legacy’ benefits and your circumstances remain unchanged, you will continue to get them for the time being.

The Department for Work and Pensions plans to move all existing ‘legacy’ claims over to Universal Credit between 2019 and 2023. We'll update this news page on this when we have more information.

If your circumstance change, you may find that you need to claim Universal Credit . This will only apply if the change in your situation means that an existing claim for a ‘legacy benefit’ comes to an end and you need to make a claim for a new benefit.

This would apply for instance if you are unemployed and you fall ill and you can’t be paid Income-Based Jobseeker’s Allowance any longer, or if you have been unwell and getting Income-Based Employment and Support Allowance but you have recovered and are now able to seek work.

There are however many changes that do not trigger a claim for Universal Credit. View our leaflet ‘Universal Credit – what is happening now and in the future?’ which is attached to this page.

If in doubt, seek advice.

The ‘rollout’ is happening on the basis of where you live. Check whether you can claim Universal Credit.

Find out more about Universal Credit and how it works.

For information and advice, contact Welfare Rights by email: or tel: 01629 531535   between 11am and 4pm on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.