Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

Help with Council Tax

If you're on a low income you can apply to your Council Tax Support Scheme.

The amount of help you get will depend on your household income and savings. You can normally only get help if you have capital of less than £6,000, although if you are pension age and receive pension credit you may still qualify for help.

Go to the 'Your Money' section of BetterOff Derbyshire to find out if you are entitled.

Apply for Council Tax Support directly with your district or borough council:

Other help with council tax


You may be entitled to a 25% discount if there is only one person living in the property who is liable to pay council tax or 50% if no-one living in the property is liable to pay.  Some people are not liable to pay if they:

  • are in full time education
  • are temporarily away from home (for example during a long stay in hospital)
  • have a severe mental impairment (for example dementia)
  • are staying with you under the 'Homes for Ukraine' scheme

If you think there are people in your home who could be exempt from their council tax liability then ask your district or borough council about how to apply.


Your council tax band can be reduced to the band below if someone living in the property has a disability and either:

  • an extra bathroom or kitchen has been fitted to meet their needs or a room is used mainly to cater for their needs due to disability (other than a toilet)
  • the property is adapted so that a wheelchair can be used indoors

For example, if you are in council tax band C this will be reduced to band B. Contact your district or borough council if you think this applies to you.