Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

We're planning essential maintenance on Sunday 24 June 2018 from 8am to noon. It may cause disruption to the website. Apologies for any inconvenience.

close alert bar

Council tax

Council tax is a locally set tax that is based on the value of your property at April 1991.

This year councils with responsibility for providing adult care services were for the first time given Government permission to raise council tax by up to 3% in addition to the maximum 2% ordinarily permitted.

The Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government has made an offer to adult social care authorities. Adult social care authorities are local authorities which have functions under Part 1 of the Care Act 2014 and includes county councils in England.

The offer is the option of an adult social care authority being able to charge an additional 'precept' on its council tax for financial years form the financial year beginning in 2016 without holding a referendum, to assist the authority in meeting expenditure on adult social care. Subject to the annual approval of the House of Commons, the Secretary of State intends to offer the option of charging this 'precept' at an appropriate level in each financial year up to and including the financial year 2019 to 2020.

Our agreed 3.99% increase in council tax in 2017 to 2018 means an increase of £36.16 a year - or 70p a week - for a Band B property. Most homes in Derbyshire are Band A or B. The 3.99% includes 2% to support the delivery of adult social care duties and responsibilities in 2017 to 2018, equivalent to the following:

Council tax bands including amount attributable to adult social care precept
Valuation bandCouncil Tax2016 to 20172017 to 2018Total
A £807.77 £14.94 £15.53 £30.47
B £942.40 £17.43 £18.12 £35.55
C £1077.03 £19.92 £20.71 £40.63
D £1211.66 £22.41 £23.30 £45.71
E £1480.92 £27.39 £28.48 £55.87
F £1750.18 £32.37 £33.66 £66.03
G £2019.43 £37.35 £38.83 £76.18
H £2433.32 £44.82 £46.60 £91.42

In Derbyshire the extra 2% for adult care in 2017 to 2018 will raise £5.6m a year but this will only partially protect services as we're facing a £12.2m adult care cut this year.

We've agreed the 2% charge specifically to help pay for the following adult social care-related services:

  • voluntary and community groups that provide the most benefit in helping older and vulnerable people to live safely and well in their own homes without relying on social care services
  • protecting our home care service which provides support to people at home so they can stay living independently for as long as possible - this service can help to reduce or prevent hospital admissions and also speed up hospital discharges
  • services that support people with dementia and their carers
  • more use of assistive technology and specialist equipment, for example pressure pads and alarms
  • support services for younger adults with mental health issues and learning disabilities to help them live independently, prepare for independent living or a move to supported accommodation and help them learn new skills including support into employment where appropriate

Fire and police elements of council tax

If your query relates to the fire or police element of your council tax bill, you should contact the relevant authority:

  • Derbyshire Police Authority
    Force Headquarters
    Butterley Hall
    DE5 3RS

    Tel: 0300 122 6000

  • Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service
    Butterley Hall
    DE5 3RS

    Tel: 01773 305305