Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

Getting out and about

Being involved with your local community or just getting out of the house to enjoy your favourite activity or to go shopping are all important aspects of healthy living.

group of people walking in the street with shopping

Getting out and about if you've got a learning disability

If you've got a learning disability you may be interested in the Safe Place scheme. Safe Places are public buildings such as shops, libraries and doctor's surgeries where people with learning disabilities can go if they feel scared or threatened while out and about.

You can find out if there are any Safe Places near where you live.

Community Connectors

The Community Connector service helps people with learning disabilities or autism develop new skills, get involved with activities and use facilities in their local community. The service can last up to 12 weeks and may include travel training. You don't have to have an adult care worker or be eligible for funded care and support to use the service.

For further information contact Call Derbyshire on tel: 01629 533190. If you think you'd like to use the service, staff at Call Derbyshire will do a telephone assessment. They will then pass these details to a member of the Community Connector team who will call you back to discuss things further.

See how our community connectors support people with disabilities across Derbyshire.

For further information on how the service works please see the information leaflets attached to this page.

Disability employment service

If you've got a disability or long term health condition our disability employment service can help you find work experience, voluntary work or paid employment.

The service can help you find suitable jobs and placements, prepare a CV and get ready for interviews.


Volunteering is a good way of getting out, keeping busy while helping others and making new friends. There are a number of ways to volunteer with us and you may want to get a Volunteer Passport to help you volunteer with other agencies.


You can see if you may be eligible to use transport, funded or provided by adult care, to access services such as day opportunities or short breaks in the transport policy attached to this page.

Using public or assisted transport

For information about public and assisted transport, community and disabled transport, timetables and fare rates, visit our public transport section.

Derbyshire Connect provides transport to shopping destinations and medical appointments for people unable to use conventional buses because of age, disability or because they live in an area where public transport is limited

Motability scheme

The national motability scheme provides disabled people with safe, reliable and affordable cars, powered wheelchairs or scooters through either contract hire or purchase.