We can provide the bay subject to it not contravening any of the following:
- existing waiting restrictions that are applied to the carriageway
- within 10 metres of a road junction
- it is not in a location that would create a danger or obstruction
- in a dedicated vehicular turning area
- where the provision of off-street parking is a practical alternative
We'll only provide disabled parking bays, as long as the applicant meets the following criteria:
- the driver of the vehicle is registered disabled and is a Blue Badge holder
- the applicant must be the vehicle owner and main driver and live permanently at the property where the bay is located
- an occupational therapist or other health professional confirms the mobility of the driver
- the applicant does not have access to off-street parking provision, such as a driveway or a garage
- the applicant lives on the type of street where parking issues exist on an all day and everyday basis
If the applicant meets all of the criteria they should firstly contact their local social care office for an assessment of their request to be carried out. Or contact Call Derbyshire tel: 01629 533190 to find out where their local office is.
It's important to note that markings are laid in an advisory capacity and is open to use by any Blue Badge holder but carries no legal weighting with respect to either civil enforcement through the Highway Authority or other enforcement via the police.
Sometimes it can be difficult to provide a bay in residential streets where on-street parking is at a premium because the bay may encroach over a neighbour's property. If this is the case we'll write to the neighbouring property to explain our intentions.
Most disabled bays are located directly fronting the applicant's property, they are not located outside flats or other multiple occupancy buildings. Only in exceptional cases would the bay be located away from the applicant's property.
The parking bay is available for use by all legitimate users and should not be regarded as a personally reserved space.
If the marking is continuously ignored, ineffective, and problematic or if the circumstances of the applicant change, then the marking may be removed.
The introduction of a bay can, in some cases, take up to 6 months to process.
If the bay is no longer required please contact Call Derbyshire, tel: 01629 533190 for removal of the marking.