Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

Help to live at home

We want to support you to live independently in the community for as long as possible. This section provides details of support that is available to help you do this.

Shopping and meals, housework and laundry

Many larger supermarkets will deliver food and frozen meals.

For details about local private meal providers contact Call Derbyshire, tel: 01629 533190.

Some voluntary organisations can provide help with shopping for older and vulnerable people. Contact your local Community Volunteer Service - you can find their contact details in the 'need a bit of help at home' leaflet attached to this page.

You can find cleaners and laundry services on the Trusted Trader directory. Call Derbyshire can help you access the register, tel: 01629 533190.

Support to stay in your own home

We work with borough and district councils to provide a range of services to help you to stay in your own home. You can browse this section of our website for more details. Or contact your local borough or district council.

The Independent Living Service operates across Derbyshire for adults aged over 55. The service provides practical help to enable someone with support needs to live independently. To discuss the eligibility criteria please contact your local provider which is detailed in the leaflet attached to this page.

DIY and maintenance jobs

The Handy Van service can undertake small maintenance jobs for people over 60 or who are vulnerable. To contact the service tel: 0203 535 4999 (charged at local rates).

The Trusted Trader directory contains lists of local reputable traders. Whether you need help with gardening, cleaning, or any other jobs you can confidently find a trader on the register. Call Derbyshire can help you access the register, tel: 01629 533190.

You could also consider using our time swap scheme.

Keeping your home warm

If you have any problems keeping your home warm or covering the cost of fuel you may be able to get information and advice from your housing provider or local district or borough council. You can refer yourself for warm homes advice using our First Contact scheme.

Read our advice about keeping warm and staying well in winter.

If you have a health condition that is made worse by the cold and you struggle to afford to heat your home, the Healthy Homes Project may be able to help or can direct you to other sources of support tel: 01629 536919.

Equipment to keep you safe and adapting your home

If you're struggling with stairs, taking a bath or getting around your home, there may be equipment that can help you. Our ‘you and your home – equipped for life leaflet’ is attached to this page and gives further information about equipment options. You can also contact Call Derbyshire to discuss simple equipment services, tel: 01629 533190. Ask SARA has details of equipment you can buy and helps you work out the best aids to meet your needs.

For major adaptations such as level access showers, government grant aid may be available. If you live in social housing speak to your housing provider first. Find out more about  disability facilities grants.

The Red Cross

Operate a volunteer lead medical equipment service that provides wheelchair hire and short –term loan of equipment. Local numbers are:

  • Matlock tel: 01629 593320
  • Ripley tel: 01773 742108
  • Chesterfield tel: 01245 470571

Community alarms and telecare

Community alarms and telecare can help to keep you safe by alerting a family member or response centre if you need help. You can speak to Call Derbyshire on tel: 01629 533190.

Staying well

Our health and wellbeing section has lots of practical advice about staying well for as long as possible.

First Contact Derbyshire signposting scheme

The First Contact scheme is an easy way for people to be put in touch with a wide range of local services simply by using one point of contact.


Are you at risk of falling? Derbyshire Falls Alert Service (FAST) can help you. There is also support to help reduce the risk of falling. Find out more about preventing falls.