Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

Accommodation, housing and residential care

There are many accommodation and housing options available to you in Derbyshire. 

Staveley community care centreCoronavirus update - visitors to our residential care settings

The framework for visits, shown below, has been temporarily suspended following advice from the Director of Public Health about the increase in community transmission of COVID-19. It will be reinstated as soon as it is safe to do so.

Given the particular risk posed by the COVID-19 virus to those over 70 years old and with underlying health conditions, a phased approach will continue be taken to the reintroduction of visits.

To ensure the safety of all of our residents and staff, these visits will continue to be structured and the following guidance must be adhered to by all visitors.

Visits will only be permitted to homes where there are no cases of COVID-19. Where there have been cases of COVID-19 visits will not be permitted until the care home has been assessed as being in recovery.

This guidance is in line with advice issued by the government, the Director of Public Health and the local health protection team.

The framework for visits

  1. Always consider whether alternatives to visiting such as video and phone calls would provide as much benefit for you and your relative or friend.
  2. All visits will be held in the garden or the outside area of the home where this is possible and weather permits.
  3. Visitors should bring their own refreshments to enjoy during the visit if required.
  4. Visits must be pre-arranged with the manager on duty at the home.
  5. Visits will be restricted to a maximum of one person. In exceptional circumstances where this is not possible, please contact the unit manager to discuss the situation.
  6. Where an internal visit can be arranged, you will be asked to wash your hands with soap and water or to use a hand sanitiser gel when you enter and leave the property.
  7. During visits inside the care home, it is important that visitors do not come into contact with other residents. You'll be escorted to a dedicated visiting room, or your relative or friend's bedroom, depending upon individual circumstances.
  8. In order to minimise contact with care home staff, if you wish to have any discussion likely to take longer than 15 minutes, please arrange to do so by phone afterwards.
  9. Please wear a face covering throughout the visit. If you don't have your own face covering you will be provided with a surgical face mask at the home. It will be important to make sure you speak loudly and clearly to your loved one so they can hear you.
  10. Please keep skin to skin contact such as a handshake or hug to a minimum, and keep 2 metres apart for as much of the visit as possible.
  11. Visits will be limited to one per week and may be time-limited in order to ensure all residents have the opportunity to spend time with their relative / friend and to allow staff to complete the required cleaning between visits.
  12. Visits may be cancelled at short notice if they cannot be safely facilitated in accordance with government guidelines, where the resident is unwell, or upon advice from the Director of Public Health.
  13. On arrival, visitors will be asked some COVID-19 related questions about their health and a form will be completed which will be stored in accordance with General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR).
  14. Staff will ask to take your temperature.
  15. Seats will be provided 2 metres apart in a designated area and must not be moved.
  16. Gifts must be placed in a plastic bag and any food items must be shop bought, and in sealed packets.
  17. Gifts should be left by the chair and will be retrieved by the staff and, once they have been sanitised, given to the resident.

Accommodation and housing

As people get older they're advised to start thinking about the housing needs they may need in later life, so that a hurried decision in a crisis can be avoided.

You can find information about:

Sheltered housing

District and borough councils and housing associations provide accommodation for older people including sheltered housing and housing that may have been adapted to suit the needs of people with mobility problems. To be considered for accommodation you need to register with your local housing department:

In addition to district and borough councils there are housing associations working within the county that have accommodation suitable for older people. Your local district or borough council may have details of the associations covering your area.

Home options

Home options is a scheme that enables people currently living in council or housing association accommodation to apply to transfer to more suitable accommodation. It also allows people living in private housing to register with a district or borough council to apply for vacant social housing properties. You can contact your local district or borough council to apply.

Support to stay in your own home

Working with borough and district councils we provide a range of services to help you to stay living in your own home. You can visit our help to live at home page or watch our Happy in Your home video to find out more.

Housing and accommodation for an ageing population

As the number of older people in Derbyshire continues to rise, we need to make sure we have a range of accommodation and housing to help them live safely and independently for as long as possible.

We've worked with district and borough councils to develop a strategic vision for how to do this up to 2035. Our strategic vision is attached to this page. We want to work with partner organisations across Derbyshire to explore some of the options in this document.