Finding a care home - lists, availability and help
We run several of our own residential homes as well as contracting with independent providers and nursing homes across the county. You can find out more about care homes in Derbyshire by:
- looking at our full list of homes in the Care Service Directory
- requesting a paper copy of the Care Service Directory using our leaflet order form or from Call Derbyshire, tel: 01629 533190
- looking at a list of care homes with available beds in your area
- contacting our brokerage team, tel: 01629 537763 or 01629 537758
- using NHS Choices to find services near you including our care homes
All of these information sources contain our own services as well as private and voluntary-run homes.
A list of questions you may find useful to help you select the right home for you when making your choice is attached to this page.
Types of care
Residential care homes provide accommodation, meals and assistance with personal care for adults who are no longer able to live independently at home due to physical or learning disabilities, sight or hearing loss, frailty or illness.
Nursing care provides the same level of care as residential homes but with the addition of qualified nursing staff who are on duty 24 hours a day.
Short breaks, respite or short term care are for people who need care and support on a short term basis. Short term care can be used when someone is recovering from a period of ill health or for further support after a hospital stay. The service can also give carers the chance to take a break.
Care home regulation
Registered care homes are regulated by the Care Quality Commission. They're inspected to make sure they reach an approved standard. If you're looking for a care home, it's worth visiting their website where you'll find further information including star ratings and copies of inspection reports. Copies of the report should also be made available to view at the home.