Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

Paying for care

How care costs are met will depend on your finances and eligibility for support as the result of an assessment.


You're a self-funder if the level of your income and savings are too high to get financial support from us to help fund your care. Any payments to a care provider are a private transaction between you and the provider of the service. However, you are still entitled to an assessment of your needs and our brokerage team can help you find a service to meet your requirements.

Non-residential care services

If you need assistance with paying for non-residential services, such as home care or day care you'll need an assessment. The assessment will determine your needs and the level of finance you'll need to contribute towards the cost of your care. We call this community contribution. Most people have to make a contribution to their non-residential care costs.

Residential care services

Payment for residential or nursing home care depends on how much you money you have in savings and assets, whether you own your home or have the proceeds of the sale of your home. Thresholds for payment and assessment are in our paying for residential care information.

This section also has information about our deferred payment scheme.

Independent financial advice

Planning your future care and support needs can be complicated and funding can be expensive. Taking professional advice may help you and your family to identify the most suitable and cost effective solution.

The Care Act 2014 requires councils to provide residents with information and advice about care charges and to signpost people to sources of independent financial advice.

Many organisations will provide free, general advice about the funding of care and support. These are a good place to start if you are looking for information and want to see what sort of options are available to you:

Buying independent financial advice

In addition to the free sources of information, we work with Trading Standards to ensure that there are a number of financial advisors available in Derbyshire that you can contact to help you look at financial options and work out what would best suit you. Search for independent financial advisors that are members of our Trusted Trader scheme.

Advisors can provide information about a wide range of financial issues including:

  • purchasing an immediate needs annuity
  • renting out a property
  • equity release
  • savings
  • investments
  • deferred payment agreements

Advisors will charge you for their services.