Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

Paying for community care

Community care is any care that people receive in their own homes or in their local community, including:

  • home care
  • day opportunities
  • day centres
  • direct payments
  • supported living
  • short breaks

If you need information about paying for care in a residential setting, such as a care home, please see our charges and financial arrangements.

Charging for community care

Most people who receive adult social care support in their community will need to pay something towards that care.

We have a policy which sets out charges that apply to people receiving adult social care support to remain living independently at home. There is a separate policy covering anyone living in a residential or nursing home.

From July 2024 our policy for community care is changing and everyone affected and their financial representatives will have received a letter to explain the changes.

Our policy up to 14 July 2024

Under our current policy:

  • if you have capital up to a limit of £50,000 (capital includes any assets or savings - it does not include your home if this is your main residence) you will pay a maximum of £51.07 per week
  • you will not be charged a tariff as a contribution towards your community care costs

Our policy from 15 July 2024

Under this policy, we will charge for adult social care support as authorised under the Care Act 2014 as follows:

  • we are introducing the national limit of £23,250 so anyone with capital above this or with available income more than the cost of their care will be having to pay all your care costs
  • we are introducing the national tariff income of £1 in every £250 for people with capital between £14,250 and £23,250
  • we will charge on 90% of a person's disposable income with a £20 a week disability-related disregard - this is where anyone with a disability or long-term health condition would automatically retain £20 a week from their income

The amount of direct payment you receive will not reduce unless you are reassessed as requiring less care or support.

Income and capital includes any income received, including benefits, and any assets or savings. It does not include your home if this is your main residence.

To work out what you will be asked to contribute we need to know what income and capital you have along with any other costs such as council tax, rent or mortgage payments that are not already met by benefits.

If you are new to adult social care support, please use our online financial calculator where you can submit all your financial information, including supporting documentation, for review by our finance team.

We will accept screen shots of financial information as long as it is clear and visible but will not accept slips obtained from an ATM which just give a balance.

Complete a financial self-assessment

If you are an existing user of adult social care support and you're struggling to complete the financial declaration form by 31 January 2024, we can look to extend the time for you to do so.

Please email or tel: 01629 532236 to let us know, and we'll look at how we can support you to complete this.

Services that are provided free of charge

The following services are provided for free. Clients who receive these services will not be required to make a contribution while they receive them:

  • our reablement services
  • intermediate care
  • services funded by the NHS under the continuing health care provisions
  • after-care services provided under Section 117 of the Mental Health Act
  • services, or a direct payment, received following a carer's assessment
  • services received for clients who are terminally ill

Small pieces of equipment, such as toilet seat raisers, grab rails, perching stools, are also provided free of charge.

Who the policy applies to

It applies to most people receiving long-term adult care support in the community.

We realise the important contribution carers make to supporting family and friends. With this in mind, where services are provided following a carers' assessment we do not require a financial contribution from the carer.

Find out more

If you would like any further information, please contact us, email: or tel: 01629 532231.


The documents on this page may not meet accessibility standards, if you require any in alternative formats, please email