Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

There are still a small number of road closures in place in Derbyshire. Please check before travelling and do not drive into flood water or drive on roads that are closed.

close alert bar

Deaf and hearing impaired

Deafness or hearing impairment is when your hearing is affected by a condition or injury.

Hearing impairment is most common in older people but can happen at any age for a variety of reasons and some people are born with it.

If you have a hearing impairment you may find that some day-to-day activities are more difficult or you may need extra support. It might be that you need help with getting out and involved, or help to live at home. You may also find that technology can help to make some things easier.

If you feel you need more help, you may benefit from having an assessment for adult care services. This means that a social worker or community care worker will contact you and arrange to visit you to discuss your needs and how they can best be met. If you're found to be eligible for a service from us we'll work with you to create a support plan that helps you to achieve your goals and outcomes.

There is a deaf service team made up of specialist workers who can give advice and work alongside your worker, if required, to ensure that you have access to all the support you need. They can also provide information, support and advice sessions to you and your families and carers at locations around the county. The deaf services team can also help if you have problems with sight as well as hearing, known as dual sensory loss. Please see the hearing impairment fact sheet attached to this page for more information or email:

To make a referral for an assessment, or for any other information, contact Call Derbyshire, email: or tel: 01629 533190.

Information and advice days

You can now get information and advice about support and equipment closer to where you live.

Information and advice days will take place on the following days in the following places:

  • Chesterfield - Tuesdays from 10am to 12pm at Chesterfield Area Office, West Street, Chesterfield, S40 47Y
  • Clay Cross - Thursdays from 2pm to 4pm at Clay Cross Office, Market Street, Clay Cross, S45 9JE
  • Ilkeston - Mondays from 10am to 12pm at Ilkeston Library, Market Street, DE7 5RN
  • Ripley - Friday from 10am to 12pm at Hearing Help, Ripley, 156 Derby Road, DE5 8HU
  • Swadlincote - Wednesdays from 10am to 12pm at Swadlincote Library, Civic Way, Swadlincote, DE11 0AD

This service will not be provided on bank holidays.

If you think we need to have a duty day in your area please contact us.

If you need to contact someone for advice or support, you can contact us in the following ways:

  • Text: 86555 start your text with bsl then press space and then start your message
  • Fax: 01246 348889
  • Minicom: 01246 861852
  • Tel: 01629 533319
  • email:
  • Write to us:
    Deaf Team
    High Street
    Clay Cross
    S45 9JB

You can also follow the Derbyshire Deaf Team on Facebook.

British Sign Language, voice over and subtitled videos

A series of videos, including a guide to adult care are now available on our YouTube playlist.

SignLive online video interpreters

Customers who prefer to use British Sign Language can contact us using a SignLive video interpreter.

This service is available from Monday to Friday between 8am and 6pm. It’s free to contact us from your home.

You'll need to register the first time you use it. You'll also need:

  • a PC or Mac that runs Windows and has a webcam
  • a modern browser such as Google Chrome or Safari. Windows version 8 or 9 can be used but will need a plug in.
  • bandwidth of at least 256KBps upload and download (384KBps recommended)

To use SignLive:

  1. Go to SignLive BSL Live.
  2. Tell the SignLive interpreter you are calling County Council Call Derbyshire.
  3. You will be connected to an accessible customer advisor.

If you are deaf and have a social care need, information and advice about sign language is available.

North of the county

Tel: 01246 347777

Textphone: 01246 277249

South of the county

Tel: 01332 717567

Textphone: 01332 344358

An interpreting service is available from Communication Unlimited who can be contacted at:

Flat 1
Perth House
Athlone Close
DE21 4BP

Tel: 01332 369920 (ask for Mary Walters)
Fax: 01332 369459
SMS: 07812 300280

If you have an acquired hearing loss please contact your local office.

Communications Unlimited are now using a messaging app called Glideto liaise with clients who are profoundly Deaf and British Sign Language (BSL) users. The app allows short video messages to be recorded and sent, so they are using this to make booking arrangements with individuals who only use BSL.

Other organisations that could help you

Deaf and Hearing Support

Deaf and Hearing Support is a local voluntary organisation which supports people with hearing loss in the north of the county.

Wheatbridge Medical Centre
30 Wheatbridge Road
S40 2AB

Tel: 01246 555934
Minicom: 01246 555933

Hearing Help UK

Hearing Help UK is a local voluntary organisation which supports people with hearing loss in the Amber Valley area.

156 Derby Road

Tel: 01773 570976