Hearing impairment is most common in older people but can happen at any age for a variety of reasons and some people are born with it.
If you have a hearing impairment you may find that some day-to-day activities are more difficult or you may need extra support. It might be that you need help with getting out and about or help to manage at home. You may also find that technology can help to make some things easier.
Hard of hearing support service
Hearing Help UK is a local voluntary organisation which provides support for people with hearing loss who are registered with a Derbyshire GP.
They offer information and advice and give demonstrations of the different types of environmental hearing equipment available that you may benefit from using.
Hearing Help run drop in sessions at venues in:
- Clay Cross
- Darley Dale
156 Derby Road
email firstname.lastname@example.org or tel: 01773 570976.
Social care support
If you feel you need more help due to your hearing impairment or because you are deaf, you may benefit from having a needs assessment for adult social care support. This means that a social worker or community care worker will contact you and arrange to visit you to discuss your needs and how they can best be met. If you're found to be eligible for a service from us we'll work with you to create a support plan that helps you to achieve your goals and outcomes.
To request a social care assessment, or for any other information, email email@example.com or tel: 01629 533190. If you are a BSL user you can use the Sign Live service to contact Call Derbyshire.
Derbyshire Deaf Team
Our Deaf Team is made up of specialist workers who can give advice and work alongside your social care worker, if required, to ensure that you have access to all the support you need.
The team provide information, support and advice drop-in sessions at locations around the county:
- Chesterfield - Tuesdays from 10am to midday at Chesterfield Area Office, West Street, Chesterfield, S40 47Y
- Clay Cross - Thursdays from 2pm to 4pm at Clay Cross Office, Market Street, Clay Cross, S45 9JE
- Ilkeston - Mondays from 10am to midday at Ilkeston Library, Market Street, DE7 5RN
- Ripley - Friday from 10am to midday at Hearing Help, Ripley, 156 Derby Road, DE5 8HU
- Swadlincote - Wednesdays from 10am to midday at Swadlincote Library, Civic Way, Swadlincote, DE11 0AD
This service will not be provided on bank holidays.
The Deaf Team can also help if you have problems with sight as well as hearing, known as dual sensory loss.
You can contact the Deaf Team in the following ways:
- text: 86555 start your text with BSL then press space and then start your message
- minicom: 01246 861852
- tel: 01629 533319
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- write to: Deaf Team, Derbyshire County Council, High Street, Clay Cross, Chesterfield, S45 9JB
- use the Sign Live service to contact Call Derbyshire and ask to be put through to the Deaf Team
You can also follow the Derbyshire Deaf Team on Facebook.
SignLive online video interpreters
To use SignLive on a smart phone or tablet you'll need a device with a front facing camera. You'll also need:
You'll need to create a SignLive account to use the app. You can do this online or through the SignLive app by clicking 'need a new account?' once it's downloaded.
Once you've finished creating your account SignLive will send you a confirmation email and you'll need to click on the 'confirm' link. If you don't receive the email check your junk mail box.
Once confirmed, to contact us you will need to log into the app using your account and select 'Derbyshire County Council' from the directory.
Press on the telephone number to be connected to a BSL interpreter. Tell the interpreter you want to contact Derbyshire County Council and the interpreter will make the call.
SignLive on a PC or laptop
To use SignLive on a PC or laptop you'll need:
- a PC or Mac that runs Windows and has a webcam
- a modern browser such as Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. Windows version 8 or 9 can be used but will need a plug in
To start using SignLive on your PC or laptop:
- go to SignLive BSL Live and search for 'Derbyshire County Council' and select 'connect'- this will start the call
- tell the SignLive interpreter you are calling Derbyshire County Council
- you will be connected to an accessible customer advisor
If using SignLive on a PC or laptop, you're advised to create a SignLive account.
An interpreting service is available from Communication Unlimited who can be contacted by:
- tel: 01332 369920
- email: email@example.com
- SMS: 07812 300280
- WhatsApp: 07812300280
- write to: Flat 1, Perth House, Athlone Close, Chaddesden, Derby, DE21 4BP
Communications Unlimited are now using a messaging app called Glide to liaise with clients who are profoundly Deaf and British Sign Language (BSL) users. The app allows short video messages to be recorded and sent, so they are using this to make booking arrangements with individuals who only use BSL. Their Glide number is 07812 300280.