Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

Caring for someone

A carer is someone who provides support to family or friends who couldn't manage without this help.

Anyone can become a carer and carers come from all walks of life, all cultures and can be any age. Many feel that they're doing what anyone would do in the same situation, caring for a mother, father, wife, husband, son, daughter or best friend, for example.

Are you a carer?

There are nearly 6 million unpaid carers in the UK. You're a carer if you provide unpaid support with day to day living tasks or personal care to a family member or friend.

Those you care for could have a physical or mental health condition, learning disability or autism or a dependency on drugs or alcohol.

Often carers care for more than one person and there may be family situations where, for example, a couple mutually care for each other and there is no main carer.

Support for carers in Derbyshire

Carers in Derbyshirehas been developed by us and a partnership of experienced family carers, health services and voluntary sector organisations, including Derbyshire Carers Association.

Carers in Derbyshire aims to be a one-stop-shop for unpaid carers who live in Derbyshire and want reliable, up-to-date information and advice about topics including:

  • carers' assessments and eligibility
  • carers' breaks, including carer personal budgets
  • a searchable directory of services for carers including support groups, sitting services and social activities
  • carers' rights
  • health and wellbeing advice
  • benefits for carers
  • support for young and parent carers
  • advice on planning for an emergency
  • employment advice for carers

Activities, events and training

Find out about the latest activities, events and training courses available for carers which are provided by Derbyshire Carers Association.

The Care Act

The Care Act is a significant piece of legislation for carers as, for the first time, it accords the same rights to carers as those they care for as well as a legal duty to assess a carer's needs and ensure support is available.

Carer assessments

A carer assessment will help to identify the help and support you need and is your opportunity to tell us about the things that could make caring easier for you.

If you meet the eligibility criteria you may be provided with information and/or services to support you in your caring role. This could be information about training courses, support groups or services to get a break from caring.

Derbyshire Carers Association (DCA)

DCA provide support to unpaid carers in Derbyshire on behalf of health and social care. They can offer information and advice, carry out carer assessments and support planning and offer peer support and social activities for carers across the county.

You can visit the Derbyshire Carers website or tel: 01773 833833 for further assistance.

Mobilise - online support for unpaid carers

Mobilise are an online service providing help and support which aims to make the lives of family carers easier, less lonely and frustrating.

Mobilise provide a range of free online support including information and advice and the chance to connect with other carers through a closed Facebook group or via daily virtual 'cuppas', where you can connect with around 12 other people who are also looking after a loved one.

If you would prefer to talk about your caring role in private, Mobilise can provide you with individual support from a member of their support team and this can be over the phone or via a video call, anytime from 8am to 10pm, 7-days a week.

The digital support offered by Mobilise complements the services provided by Derbyshire Carers Association to offer greater choice for carers.

You can visit Mobilise, read about their online support for unpaid carers in Derbyshire and subscribe if you'd like to find out more.

Carer personal budgets and carers breaks

If you require a carer assessment, you may be assessed as eligible for a carer personal budget.

This is an amount of money to support you in your caring role and assist you to take a break from caring, or make things easier for you. It's not means tested and you will identify how best to spend this.

Find out if you're eligible for a carer personal budget.

Carers in Derbyshire also has general information about getting a break from caring.


Carers in Derbyshire has information on how to get help in an emergency or crisis.

There is also advice on preparing for an emergency by having a contingency plan in place. You can also apply for a carer's emergency card online.


Under the Care Act 2014, carers are entitled to advocacy support. This means getting support from an independent person to help you express your views and wishes and ensure your voice is heard.

You can use an advocate to help you liaise with health and social care professionals or get access to local services, either for yourself or the person you care for.

If you're having difficulties getting your voice heard or being listened to in respect of your role as a carer or on behalf of the person you care for, you can get support from the Independent Community Advocacy Service by tel: 01332 623732 or email:

Keeping adults safe

Abuse occurs when a vulnerable adult is mistreated, neglected or harmed by another person and the abuse can be an accidental or deliberate act and take many forms.

Safeguarding is the process we use to help protect a person's right to live free from harm, abuse, neglect or exploitation. We will investigate suspected abuse of a vulnerable person and take action to keep the person safe. If you suspect abuse contact: