Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

Planning days out in Derbyshire as a carer

We know that for carers a day out can take a lot of planning, so we're here to help you with some ideas and tips.

Access Card

If the person you look after is disabled they can get an Access Card. The card has symbols on it that show the person's needs and it's accepted as proof of disability at venues across the country.

The card can be used quickly and discreetly to let a service or company know about their needs and can help you access concessionary tickets prices and accessibility support.

It can also be used to help you get free entry as a carer by proving the person you care for has a disability.

Free entry

If the person you care for has to have you with them to be able to use a service, you're covered by the Equality Act. This means that attractions shouldn't charge you as someone's carer as they wouldn't be able to access it without your support.

Don't be afraid to ask or challenge the staff if they refuse this, it may be that they just aren't aware. The Carers Trust has advice about free entry.

Some visitor attractions and leisure venues in and around Derbyshire let carers in for free. Always check the website of the place you're visiting in advance in case you need to provide proof of disability. The National Trust and English Heritage have free-entry schemes for instance.

Stroll and Roll accessible walks

There are accessible walks taking place across Derbyshire every summer. The walks are fully accessible to wheelchair users and the pace and length of the walks is modified to suit the group taking part.

To find out what's happening in your area, visit the Active Derbyshire website - they'll be able to put you in touch with the walk organisers.

Accessible Derbyshire

Accessible Derbyshire have details of loads of places you can visit that are accessible to people with disabilities. You can also follow them on Facebook to keep up with news about any events or activities.

Derbyshire All Age Carers Support Service events

The Derbyshire All Age Carers Support Service frequently arrange events for carers including walks, training sessions and groups. Email them at: or give them a ring to find out more on tel: 01773 833833.

These include:

  • library events and IT lessons
  • wellbeing and information events
  • activities and events for young carers, young adult carers and their families
  • dementia friendly films

And much more…

Schemes to help while you're out and about

Changing Places

If the person you care for has a physical disability they might struggle to use standard toilets as there just isn't enough room to move around. Changing places are adapted toilets with more space and specialised equipment including a height-adjusting changing bench and hoists.

Safe Place scheme

Are you worried about the person you care for getting lost, scared or in need of help when they are out and about on their own?

Safe places are public buildings in towns and communities that have the safe place sticker in their window. The staff inside will help the person by getting in touch with an emergency contact to help them get back home safely.

You can apply for a Keep Safe Card for the person you care for and on the card you can write details such as emergency contact, communication needs and other important numbers or information.

If they need help when they're out and about they can just go to a place with the Safe Place sticker and give the card to a member of staff who will be able to help.

Transport and travel

One of the biggest barriers to getting out and about is actually getting where you want to go.

Derbyshire Connect Service

Derbyshire Connect provides transport to shopping destinations for people unable to use conventional buses because of age, disability or because they live in areas where public transport is limited.


If you're looking to go further afield, the National Rail website has information about the accessibility of train stations across England.

Disabled Persons Railcard

The Disabled Persons Railcard entitles the cardholder and a carer or companion one third off most adult rail fares on the National Rail network.

Blue Badge

The Blue Badge scheme helps you park closer to your destination for people with severe walking difficulties, who either travel as drivers or passengers.

Car tax

You can apply for exemption from paying vehicle tax if you get the:

  • higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • enhanced rate mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment

The vehicle must be registered in the disabled person's name or their nominated driver's name.

It must only be used for the disabled person's personal needs. It can't be used by the nominated driver for their own personal use.