Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

Carer's emergency card

Applying for and using a carer's emergency card.

There are a number of ways that we or others can help you prepare for emergencies or deal with them when they happen. Anyone who provides essential support can obtain a carer’s emergency card, regardless of the amount of support they provide. In an emergency people will know that you are a carer and that someone relies on you.

This card alerts emergency services that you're a carer and that someone relies on you for support.

As part of the emergency card application you're asked to tell us about the support you provide, what you'd like to happen if you're unable to carry out your caring role and to nominate emergency contacts (such as family members). We'll keep this information on our adult care database and it'll be available to our staff and other professionals who may be helping you and the person you care for in an emergency situation.

You should make sure you've informed the nominated contacts and any other key family or friends who are involved with the emergency plan.

Applying for a carer's emergency card

You can record your details using our online form or fill in the paper application form in the 'Guide to Carers Services' leaflet which you can order using our leaflet order form.

Once we receive your form we will add the information you have provided to our systems to form your contingency plan.

We will then send you a card to carry with you which is linked to these details and has a reference number on it and contains our 24-hour telephone number. You should carry the card with you at all times.

Your information

You should ensure the people who will act as emergency contacts are happy for us to hold their details. It is your responsibility to check this.

The information you provide when filling in the carers emergency card form will only be used to support you and/or the person you care for in accessing support services.

The information will be kept securely on our systems until you are no longer a carer – please note it is your responsibility to tell us that you are no longer caring for someone. To do this you can email or tel: 01629 533190.

Under the Data Protection Act 2018 you have the right to access information we hold about you. For further information on how we may use your personal information take a look at our privacy policy.

If you are recording emergency details on behalf someone else who is a carer, please make sure they understand the scheme and are happy for their details to be recorded on our systems.

Complete carer's emergency card form

What is a crisis or emergency?

A crisis or emergency is something that could not be planned for which means you cannot carry out your caring role. It could be that you:

  • are admitted to hospital
  • suffer a family emergency such as a bereavement
  • are at risk of your employment ending as a result of your caring role

What will happen in an emergency or crisis?

In the event of a crisis or emergency, contact will need to be made with Call Derbyshire who will activate your carer emergency plan by contacting the family members or friends who you've nominated as emergency contacts on your carer emergency plan.

If your emergency contacts aren't able to provide direct help, Call Derbyshire staff will carry out a telephone assessment to decide what is required to assist the situation, how quickly a response is required and if there is an immediate or imminent risk. If you or the adult you provide care for are currently supported by social care, your worker or local team will carry out further assessment.

Access to replacement care services is subject to an assessment, taking into account the national eligibility criteria and our co-funding policy for contributing to the cost of care services. Depending on the situation services may include:

  • information, advice and guidance
  • putting you in touch with other organisations who can assist you
  • support in the home from paid carers
  • adjustment of your current support service
  • short term care in a residential or nursing home

An emergency plan does not include free care or rapid access to social care services.

Planning for a crisis or emergency situation

Carers in Derbyshire has information on planning for an emergency situation as a carer.