Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

Carers' rights

The Care Act 2014 gives the same rights to carers as those they care for. This means there's a legal duty to assess a carer's needs and make sure support is available.

As an unpaid carer, you have:

  • the right to self-determine your willingness and ability to care. This includes support to identify what care you are willing and able to provide
  • the right for your views to be considered by Social Care when organising provision for the cared-for person
  • the right to a carer's assessment to identify what you want to do with your own life, as well as measuring the impact of the caring role on your wellbeing
  • a right for your eligible needs to be met
  • the right to ask for flexible working
  • the right to engage in employment, education, training and leisure
  • other rights as defined by Civil Rights, Human Rights Legislation and the Equalities Bill

Support from Derbyshire All Age Carers Support Service

Our Derbyshire All Age Carers Support Service is delivered on our behalf by Derbyshire Carers Association.

To get help, advice, and support, email: or phone them on tel: 01773 833 833.

Independent advocacy

Under the Care Act, carers are entitled to advocacy support. This means getting support from an independent person to help you put forward your views and wishes to make sure your voice is heard.

You can use an advocate to help you when dealing with health and social care staff, or getting access to local services, either for yourself or the person you care for.

If you're finding it hard making your voice heard, you can get support from the Independent Community Advocacy Service provided by Cloverleaf Advocacy tel: 01924 454875 or email:

Carers UK have also developed a guide to self advocacy called Being Heard which has lots of tips on how to get your point across and communicate effectively.

Making a complaint

If you're not satisfied about a standard of service, you should complain to the organisation involved.

Carers UK has some good advice about making a complaint.

You can make a complaint for someone else, but you must have their permission or a right to act on their behalf.

If you're complaining about a private care provider but the service is funded or arranged by our Adult Care department, then we have a duty to investigate your complaint.

If your complaint is about both Adult Care and the NHS, you only have to make one complaint. The NHS and Adult Care will work together to produce a joint response.

Carers' Rights Day

Carers' Rights Day aims to make sure carers are aware of their rights as well as highlighting help and support available. Read more about the national Carers' Rights Day campaign.