Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

View the most up-to-date information about the coronavirus. Find out about new measures at recycling centres and check waiting times

Due to essential maintenance, this website will be unavailable from 5pm to 8pm on Monday 25 May 2020. Apologies for any problems this may cause.

close alert bar

Welfare benefits for families and children

There are different types of benefits you may be able to claim, depending on your circumstances.

If you're expecting a baby or adopting then you may be able to get statutory maternity pay or statutory adoption pay through your employer - or you may be entitled to Maternity Allowance if you can’t get statutory maternity pay.

If you're looking after a child or young person and you need to claim means-tested help with their living costs, you will usually need to claim Universal Credit for them if you are claiming for the first time.

It is no longer possible to make a new claim for Tax Credits unless you are currently entitled to Income Support, Income-Based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income-Related Employment and Support Allowance or Housing Benefit which includes a ‘severe disability premium’ – or you were receiving one of these benefits containing this premium within the last month.

We recommend that you seek advice from our Helpline on making a new Tax Credit claim if you are disabled.  

If you are already receiving Tax Credits, you can usually continue to make your claim for Working Tax Credit while you continue to meet its rules, and Child Tax Credit up until your youngest child leaves full time non-advanced education, or reaches the age of 20. If you have a change of circumstances which ends your Tax Credit claim, you will not be able to re-claim Tax Credits and you must claim Universal Credit – unless you receive one of the benefits above with a severe disability premium or did so within the last month.

Child Benefit is unaffected by these changes.

If a child under 16 has a disability you may be able to claim Disability Living Allowance for them. If they are over 16 they will need to claim Personal Independence Payment.

The leaflets attached to this page give you more information on these benefits. You can contact us for a full benefit check or further advice. Tel: 01629 531535 from 11am to 4pm on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.