Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

Copying and research service

We can supply copies of original documents or publications, subject to copyright restrictions. We can also undertake research on your behalf using published or original sources, including parish registers.

Copying and research orders are priced according to the amount of staff time they take to carry out. Our minimum charge is £17.50 per half hour, including VAT.

Copies and research reports are usually sent to you via email. We can print the images and report if you prefer to have them on paper, or we can supply copies on CD. We aim to complete all orders within 28 days.

If you have a query about the collections, please check the Derbyshire Record Office catalogue. If you're still in doubt, please email

To order, please fill in the online order form. We'll respond within 10 working days to let you know how much your order will cost and how you can pay.

Copying and research order form

If you prefer to employ an independent researcher, please see the list of record agents.

You can take advantage of our digitisation service if you'd like to have digital copies of your own old documents and photographs. For further information see digitising history.

Reproducing images

For a fee, we can provide copies of documents for personal research, commercial purposes and for publication.

However, under copyright regulations, copies of documents which are still in copyright can only be published, publicly displayed, or performed, with written permission from the copyright holder. This applies to copies used in physical documents, online or in other electronic forms.

Copyright lasts longer than you think. For clarification of the duration of copyright please see The National Archives' flowcharts for Crown copyright and non-Crown copyright. The majority of our documents are covered by the non-Crown copyright flowchart, but if you want to use a copy of an Ordnance Survey map, it's covered by Crown Copyright.

For further information on copyright legislation, see the National Archives guide to copyright and related rightsand and HM government's copyright notice on the duration of copyright.


If you reproduce anything from Derbyshire Record Office's collections, you should acknowledge this support.

How to acknowledge us

  • use our correct name: Derbyshire Record Office - we're often referred to by other names, but only use this name when formally acknowledging us or mentioning us online
  • credit images of our documents with our name and their full reference number, for example Derbyshire Record Office, D1234/5/6 - without a reference number it can be very difficult for people who want to see the original document to find it
  • link to us in blogs and on social media - add a link to our website or blog when you mention us, so other groups can easily find us
  • use our logo on your printed material and/or website when we have provided partnership support, contact us to use a copy of our logo

By publicly acknowledging the support that we have provided, you help raise awareness of the importance of archives and local studies. This encourages more people to use Derbyshire Record Office, further showing that our services are needed and valued.