Copies and research reports are usually sent to you via email. We can print the images and report if you prefer to have them on paper. Or we can supply copies on CD. We aim to complete all orders within 28 working days.
Please check the Derbyshire Record Office catalogue to make sure we hold the records you're looking for. If you're still in doubt, please contact the duty archivist.
If you prefer to employ an independent researcher, please see the list of record agents attached to this page.
You can take advantage of our digitisation service if you'd like to have digital copies of your own old documents and photographs. For further information see digitising history.
Copying and research orders are priced according to the amount of staff time they take to carry out. For current fees and charges see our services, or the order forms attached to this page which include costs for postage, printing and overseas costs.
To ask for quote for copying or research please contact the duty archivist email: firstname.lastname@example.org or tel: 01629 538347.
Fifteen minutes of staff time would pay for a small order not involving original archives, for example:
- a copy of an article or a few pages from a book in local studies
- providing copies of an item already available in a digital format
- a single will from the Derby Probate Court records
Thirty minutes of staff time would pay for a small or medium order, such as:
- 10 to 15 pages from a single book
- digitisation of a small bundle of documents from one archive collection
- a single map, up to A0 size - tithe and enclosure maps are charged at £15 per map, plus £15 for the award
- a single newspaper article
- details of a single voter and address on an electoral register for one or 2 years
One hour of staff time would pay for a large order, such as:
- a search for your ancestor's baptism in one or 2 different parishes
- check for references to a particular subject in the text of one to archive documents
- details of a voter and address on electoral registers over 3 to 4 years
- search for your ancestor's dates of admission and discharge from hospital or workhouse - we'll let you know if there are applicable access restrictions
Ninety minutes of staff time would pay for a large order, such as:
- search for your ancestor's dates of admission and discharge from hospital or workhouse, plus entries in related records such as creed registers - we'll let you know if there are applicable access restrictions
- a large bundle of correspondence from an archive collection
- copy of entries relating to your house on a tithe map and award
- an in-depth family history enquiry, seeking harder-to-find individuals or checking multiple parishes, cross-checking against census records
Two or 3 hours of staff time would pay for an order involving a substantial amount of copying or research.
It's best to speak to us about your order before going ahead, because we do not refund overpayments.
Under copyright regulations, copies of documents cannot be published in hard copy or electronic form without written permission.
We can only provide copies of documents for personal research purposes and not for commercial or publication purposes.
Prior approval from the depositor and copyright owner where necessary, via Derbyshire Record Office, must be sought before copies of documents may be published or used for purposes other than personal research.
To ask permission, please contact us. If permission is given, it will be on condition that appropriate acknowledgement is made.