Find your local library
Did you know that:
- it's free to join the library
- you're never too young to join - babies can join at birth
- you can activate your b_line card to be your library card
- we don't charge fines if you're under 12
- you can download free ebooks (not to Kindle)
- you can reserve ebooks free of charge, and there are no late fees
- you can borrow up to 24 items
We also have lots of reading activities taking place in our libraries including:
So why not go and explore your local library?
The internet is a great way to explore the world and for many children and young people it is an everyday part of their life.
Your child may access computers in Derbyshire libraries for free.
Some things to consider:
- access to social networking sites and chatrooms is available
- we have filtering software on our computers, but this will not eliminate risk of accessing unsuitable material
More information and guidance on e-safety can be found on the NSPCC website.
Breastfeeding in libraries
We aim to create an atmosphere in which breastfeeding mothers may feel comfortable and relaxed when using our libraries. We have a 'Breastfeeding Welcome Here' pledge to support this.
Websites for children and young people
BookTrust Home Time - competitions, storybooks, games and quizzes
CILIP National Shelf Service - book recommendations from professional librarians (YouTube)
Bringing books to life - celebrity presenters tell you about their favourite children's books
SingingHandsUK - songs and stories with Makaton
BBC Tiny Happy People - simple activities and play ideas for the early years
Hungry Little Minds - Resources and ideas for home learning and activities
National Literacy Trust - Literacy charity who work with schools and communities
BBC Bitesize - revision topics for the national curriculum and daily activities while schools