Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

A to Z guide on waste - F

Some ideas to help you decide what to do with your unwanted items.


Make your own compost rather than buying fertiliser. Find out about composting your waste.

Check with friends, neighbours or the local allotment group to see if they can use any of your surplus fertiliser.

Fire extinguishers

Our household waste recycling centres will only accept fire extinguishers specifically manufactured and sold for domestic household use, maximum size 2kg, and a maximum of 2 extinguishers within a calendar year. Extinguishers which originated in a commercial business premise will not be accepted, these should be disposed through a private sector hazardous waste disposal contractor.


Leave fireworks for a minimum of 2 hours to ensure they have gone out. Douse with water, then soak in cold water in a bucket outside until the cardboard tubes unravel and the explosives have dissolved. Only then can you dispose of the remains in your dustbin. Remember to keep them wet.

If in doubt, please contact the manufacturer for their disposal advice.


For advice on how to dispose of fluids please contact us email: or tel: 01629 538120.

Fluorescent light tubes

You can recycle your old and unwanted fluorescent light tubes at any of our household waste recycling centres. Please ask the attendant where to put them.


Report incidents of fly-tipping on public land by contacting your local district or borough council.

Find out more about fly-tipping.

Food waste

Think about what leftovers or food you already have when planning meals before shopping.

After planning, write your shopping list and stick to it to avoid buying food you may not use.

Think about portion control.

Use up your leftovers in creative tasty dishes. If you need inspiration then check out Love Food Hate Waste recipes.

f you live in Bolsover, Chesterfield, High Peak, North East Derbyshire and South Derbyshire you can recycle all your food waste with your garden waste. This includes fruit and vegetable peelings, tea bags, bread and pastries, potatoes, pasta, rice, meat and plate scrapings.

If you live in Derbyshire Dales you can recycle your food waste in your kerbside food waste caddy.

For those in Amber Valley and Erewash you cannot compost food at the kerbside. But if you have a wormery worms love food waste or can be added to your 'Green cone' which is buried in the ground. For more information please visit Great Green Systems.

Add raw fruit and vegetable waste to your compost bin (no meat, fish or dairy products).

Fridges and freezers

If still in working order offer on your local Freecycle or Freeglenetwork, or to a furniture project.

Take your old fridge or freezer to any of our household waste recycling centres.

Contact your local district or borough council for details on their bulky waste collection services.

Furniture recycling

Donate your unwanted furniture to your local furniture project. Upholstered items must have a current fire retardant label.

Contact your local district or borough council for details on their bulky waste collection services.

You can take furniture (but not fitted furniture) to our household waste recycling centres.