Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

Finances and benefits for Ukrainian nationals

Ukrainian nationals can claim benefits as soon as they arrive in the UK.

If you're a Ukrainian living in Derbyshire and need more advice about benefits, please contact our welfare rights service, email:

Claiming benefits

Under state pension age (under 66 years old)

Universal Credit is a monthly payment to help with living costs for people on a low income under state pension age. It can also help with the cost of renting a property.

Apply for Universal Credit

If you have questions about how Universal Credit works you can speak to Universal Credit Full Service, tel: 0800 328 5644. You can also speak to Citizens Advice Help to claim, tel: 0800 144 8444. The government has information including how to claim and how you're paid Universal Credit.

You can watch a step-by-step guide on filling in the Universal Credit application form.

You'll normally be expected to look for full-time work to receive Universal Credit. If you have physical or mental health problems that make it difficult to work, you should submit a fit note from your GP and ask for a Work Capability Assessment. You should also tell your work coach about any childcare or other caring responsibilities.

If you or your children have a long-term illness or disability you may also be entitled to:

Retirement age (66 or over)

If you're retirement age (66 or over) you may be eligible for:


If you're responsible for a child or a young person who is under the age of 20 you may be able to claim Child Benefit. Other money for children can be included in your Universal Credit or Pension Credit claim.

Setting up a bank account

To receive Universal Credit and other benefits, your guest will need to open a bank account. They can open a bank account by visiting any bank.

They'll need to have documents that show their identity, immigration status and address. Many banks now will create an account for Ukrainian refugees without an address.

In order for a guest to set up a bank account, they must;

  • be 18 or over and a temporary UK resident
  • have a valid Ukrainian passport or Ukrainian national ID card in their name

And have one of the following:

  • passport insert issued by UK visa application centre confirming their right to enter the UK
  • passport stamp issued by UK Border Force confirming their right to enter the UK
  • confirmed visa application issued by UK visa application centre confirming their right to enter the UK
  • biometric residence permit issued by the UK government following completion of their application process once they have arrived in the UK

Identity documentation should be in date and in the name of the applicant applying for the account. Visa documentation confirming the right to enter the UK must have been issued within 6 months of the application date.

It is strongly recommended that your guest has a valid email address and phone number, in their name, to make it easier for the bank to communicate and for them to access online banking.

Emergency payments

An emergency payment of £200 will be made available to guests upon notification of arrival in Derbyshire by ourselves

Guests will receive a text message or email from us which can be presented at any Post Office in return for a one off cash payment.

Upon registering as a host with the Homes for Ukraine scheme, sponsors will be contacted by us, to confirm if / when their guest has arrived, their guest's email address and mobile telephone number, whether there are children in the group and the district or borough that you live under.

This will allow us to make sure safeguarding and accommodation checks, emergency and thank you payments, and support for children can be arranged as soon as possible

We are keeping this process is under review to make the scheme available to those without the means of receiving texts or emails should it be necessary.

Food banks

Food banks can provide you with free food and other essential items. Find your local food bank.

Citizens Advice

You or your guest can get advice on issues including benefits, employment, immigration, debt and legal advice from your local Citizens Advice. They also offer a help to claim scheme that can support people to apply for benefits. Tel: 03444 111 444.

National Debtline

The National Debtline offers free, confidential and independent advice about debt and money problems. Tel: 0808 808 4000.

Welfare rights

Our welfare rights team can help with advice around accessing benefits and can undertake representation for claimants, including:

  • dealing with welfare benefits and tax credits
  • advice and guidance about which benefits to claim and how to claim them
  • sending out claim forms and advising on how to challenge decisions by the benefits authorities
  • supporting you if you don't agree with a decision made about your benefit claim

Employment and training support

Careers service

We give free and impartial information, advice and guidance about career opportunities, learning and employment to any Derbyshire residents aged 19 years and over and to those aged 18 who are not currently in education, employment or training.

Aged 16 to 24 employment and training support

Yes Derbyshire is a one-stop-shop for young people aged from 16 to 24, offering access to training and careers advice and guidance.