Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

Education and childcare for Ukrainian nationals

Information to help Ukrainian children and young people continue their education and details of how to access childcare.

Apply for a school place

Ukrainian nationals can apply for a school place for a child as soon as they arrive. Starting school can help children settle in and make friends.

A parent can apply for a school place for their child at a school of their choice. Or you can complete the application on the parent’s behalf. You can apply for the child to start in the new school year in September or in the middle of the school year.

The application for a school place will be considered under Derbyshire’s school admission arrangements, as all applications are. If a place isn’t available at the chosen school the child will be offered a place at an alternate school.

Read the admissions information and apply for a school place.

Free home to school transport

Some children are eligible for home to school transport. Find out more and apply for free school transport.

Free school meals

Children in reception, year 1 and year 2 (between 4 and 7-years-old) automatically get free school meals. Children in year 3 or above may be eligible for free school meals. This includes if their parent is receiving Universal Credit.

Read more and apply for free school meals.

School uniform

We don’t provide school clothing, clothing grants or financial help specifically for parents to provide school uniform. If you need support, the child's school may be able to give advice on what financial help might be available.

Nursery places and childcare

There is currently 15 hours universal funding available for all 3 to 4-years-olds upon presentation of a birth certificate or proof of ID, commencing from the term starting after their third birthday. Contact the family information service for help with finding a provider, email or search for childcare near you.

Ukrainian families on a low income or on certain benefits could get up to 15 hours of free childcare per week for their 2-year-olds.

Read more about schemes available to parents and carers to help pay for childcare.

University places

Ukrainian refugees can apply for a university place in the UK and should be eligible for student finance support. More information is available from the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) which offers a wide range of support for refugees and asylum seekers.