Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

Vehicle accesses, crossovers and dropped kerbs

There are procedures in place to help people gain vehicle access from the road, across footways and verges, which are part of the highway.

These procedures ensure that the safety of other road users and pedestrians is not compromised, and that damage is not caused to the road, footway or the utilities underneath.

Vehicle access onto the road (highway)

A proposal for a new access will need to satisfy both planning and highway requirements before it can proceed. The following steps should guide you through the necessary procedures.

Step one

If you live on a classified (A, B or C) road, you will need planning permission for a new access to your property.

Planning permission is not usually required if the access is onto an unclassified (minor) road. It may still be needed if the access forms part of more extensive works or is in a conservation area.

You should seek advice from your local planning office before proceeding. If they say that planning permission is not required, make sure you have that decision in writing.

To make a planning application, you will need to produce plans of your proposals and pay a fee to the relevant district or borough council.

Step two

Once you have planning permission for the proposed access or, where appropriate, a letter stating it is not needed, you should download the access pack.

This should be completed and returned, with the requested documents to:

Highways Hub
Economy, Transport and Environment
Room 199b
County Hall


Refusal of a request for a vehicle crossing

If planning permission has been granted for an access, then we (as the highway authority) will not refuse a request for the access.

If planning permission is not required for the access then it is rare for a request to be refused. However, if we believe your proposal puts other road users at risk or seriously interferes with the free flow of traffic on a busy road, then it may be turned down.

Constructing a vehicle crossing

Please be aware this process is under review and we will no longer be able to provide quotes for the work to be carried out by ourselves.

We allow private contractors to construct vehicular accesses. However, we have a responsibility to manage all work on the local highway network and require contractors to have certain personnel to be qualified under the New Roads and Street Works Act accreditation scheme.

The contractor should also carry public liability insurance to a minimum of £5m.

It is in your interests to ensure that any contractor working for you conforms to these minimum standards as the cost of claims through accidents or utility apparatus damage can be very high and will be passed on to you for settlement.

Works undertaken by a private contractor must be guaranteed for two years.

Constructing my new drive or hard standing

Work to construct your drive or hard standing on your own property would need to be carried out by yourself or your private contractor.

We can only undertake work within the highway. You will either have to construct the drive or hard standing yourself or employ a private contractor.

Closing an unauthorised vehicle crossing

We have authority to take action to prevent use of unauthorised crossings.


Works are undertaken by a private contractor, are subject to a charge of £50 to cover the cost of inspection of the works and administration.

Time limit to complete

Works should be completed within three months of approval.

Once the works start, they should be completed as quickly as possible, normally within three days.

Maintaining the vehicular access

Provided that the access is constructed in accordance with the specification and has been correctly maintained by the contractor, the access becomes part of the highway and is then maintained by us.

If we believe that the works have been undertaken incorrectly, we will make investigations, which may include drill holes, and recharge the cost of these if the work is found to be faulty.

Next step

If you would like to apply for a vehicle crossing, please see the documents attached to this page.

You can also pay a vehicular access invoice using secure payment.