Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

Apply for a skip permit

It's a statutory requirement for any skip on a road to have a permit, and no skip should be placed on the road, pavement or verge until written permission has been given.

Apply for a skip permit

You don't need a permit to place a skip on private land but if you need to check whether the location is highway, please contact for confirmation.

We may refuse a request for a skip to be placed in the highway if sufficient space is available on private land.

Before any skip can be placed on a public road, the skip provider must apply to us for a permit. Members of the public can't apply for permits.

It's an offence for a skip to be on a public road without a permit and the skip may be removed without notice.

Any skip found on the road without a permit will incur a cost of £50 to cover administration fees.

Getting a permit

If you're a member of public, you should contact a skip provider of your choice. You can find skip providers using Trusted Trader.

If you're a skip company that's been issued with a company ID number, you can submit a permit request.

If you've not been issued with a company ID, you will need to register your company and supply evidence of your public liability insurance. Complete the highways company registration form. This form can be used for all of the listed items.

You are also required to read the attached specifications and conditions for placing a skip within the highway. You will need to confirm agreement to these conditions on each permit application. We'll contact you to confirm registration and you'll then be able to apply for permits.

The cost for a new permit or extension to a current permit is £14 which is non-refundable.

Length of permit

A permit can last for up to a maximum of 7 days on an A or B road or 14 days on any other road.

If a skip is required for a longer period than this, extensions may be permitted at our discretion and an additional fee of £14 will be charged.