Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

Paying for non-residential care

Paying for non-residential services such as home care and day care.

If you need information about paying for care in a residential setting, such as a care home, please see our charges and financial arrangements

Co-funding arrangements for non-residential services

Since April 2011 you are required to contribute to the cost of your care services from any non-means tested benefits and allowances you receive for your care needs, or from any significant capital. We call this co-funding.

Co-funding makes sure we can continue to offer help and support to the people who need it most - now and in the future. We think this is the fairest and best solution to protect the future of community care services in Derbyshire.

It means you will have more choice and more control over the care you receive and who you get it from.

Your contribution

As part of the discussions about your needs and outcomes, your social worker will discuss co-funding and the contribution you will be asked to make.

Care services that co-funding applies to

Co-funding applies to all non-residential (not provided in a residential care home) adult care services, except those that are free. For example:

  • home care
  • day care
  • direct payment
  • assistive technology (telecare)

Services that are still provided free of charge

The following services are provided free. Clients who receive these services will not be required to make a contribution while they receive them:

  • our reablement services
  • intermediate care
  • services funded by the NHS under the continuing health care provisions
  • after-care services provided under Section 117 of the Mental Health Act
  • services, or a direct payment, received following a carer's assessment
  • services received for clients who are terminally ill

Small pieces of equipment, such as toilet seat raisers, grab rails, perching stools, are also provided free of charge.

Who co-funding applies to

Co-funding applies to most adult care service users receiving non-residential services.

How co-funding affects carers

We realise the important contribution carers make to supporting family and friends. With this in mind, where services are provided following a carers' assessment we can use discretion and not request a financial contribution from the carer.

Find out more

If you would like any further information, please contact us, email: or tel: 01629 532231.