Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

Leaving hospital

We're working together with health staff to make sure nobody stays in hospital for longer than necessary.

Coming out of hospital

Hospital discharges are conducted in accordance with the NHS and Community Care Act. The hospital staff will tell us if you need an assessment of your care needs to start or continue with care services on your return home.

Acute hospital discharges

Once the hospital has contacted us, we then have between 3 and 5 days to complete an assessment of what social care eligible needs you may have and whether a package of care is required in line with the Delayed Discharges Act.

This process also applies to those who may be in need of residential or nursing care and would meet the criteria for local authority funding.

Community hospital discharges

Sometimes you may be admitted to a local, community hospital rather than an acute hospital. You may also be transferred to a community hospital for rehabilitation following an acute hospital stay.

Discharge from a community hospital is not covered by the Delayed Discharges Act, but we'll work together with health care staff to enable you to leave hospital as soon as you're ready.

Interim arrangements

On occasion it may be necessary for you to be given temporary support to continue your recuperation. This can be in your own home or a short stay in a care home.

Our re-ablement service gives you support in your own home to regain lost skills and independence. The service can be accessed for up to 6 weeks, but can be little as one or 2 weeks depending on your needs.

Intermediate care

Intermediate care is a service provided to help you recover from illness sooner. It involves a range of professionals including occupational therapists, social workers, physiotherapy and nursing staff working closely together to help you recover faster from illness. Like the re-ablement service, support is usually provided in your own home and normally last no longer than 6 weeks.

Intermediate care is available to all adults over 18. It can be accessed via referral from your GP or another social care or health professional. You can self-refer, or have a referral made on your behalf by a carer or family member, by contacting Call Derbyshire on tel: 01629 533190.

All referrals will be assessed using the intermediate care eligibility criteria. In general you need:

  • to be medically stable and supported by your GP in the community
  • to be able to benefit from time-limited assessment of rehabilitation in order to improve your level of independence
  • consent - if the referral is made by a professional or your care, they need to have your consent

If it's considered that you're not suitable for intermediate care, you'll be given the reasons for the decision. You may also be given details of more appropriate services.

Home from hospital services

In partnership with the NHS Derbyshire Clinical Commissioning Groups, we provide grant funding for home from hospital services in each district of Derbyshire.

The aim of these services is to provide practical support for vulnerable people at the point of hospital discharge, or those in the community at risk of admission to hospital. The services support people who may not be eligible for social care or NHS support but whose needs are likely to escalate without any intervention.

The services ensure vulnerable people are supported with initial practical support for up to six weeks to promote confidence and independence. Support is provided by a combination of paid staff and volunteers.

To make a referral or find out more information please contact the relevant service area.

Chesterfield, Bolsover and North East Derbyshire

British Red Cross, tel: 01246 515525.

Amber Valley

Amber Valley centre for voluntary services (CVS), tel: 01773 512076.

North Dales and High Peak

Peaks and Dales CVS, tel: 01298 23970.

South Dales

Peaks and Dales centre for voluntary services (CVS), tel: 01298 23970.


Community Concern Erewash, tel: 0115 9444146.

South Derbyshire

South Derbyshire centre for voluntary services (CVS), tel: 01283 550163.

Information and advice

We'll offer advice and information to help you regain your independence after a hospital stay. This is available even if you're assessed as not eligible for other support services, or are a self-funder.

Our brokerage service can be contacted on tel: 01629 537763 and can help you to find any care services you need in your local area. You don't need an adult care assessment in order to use this.

Family carers

It's important that your family carers are involved in the plans for your hospital discharge if you want them to be. With your consent we'll discuss your discharge arrangements with them and make sure they're willing and able to give you any support you need. If you have any concerns about this please ask to speak to an adult care worker or contact Call Derbyshire tel: 01629 533190.