Schools and learning at the Record Office
With over 5 miles of material dating back nearly 900 years, the Record Office collection is a unique resource for studying geography, science, personal, local and national history, citizenship, art and design, and more in Derby and Derbyshire.
Our education programme brings learning to life by putting the pupils in the driving seat, to be detectives and develop research and communications skills. The opportunity to experience original source material captures the imagination so that topics become more real to pupils as they relate to the local information.
- schools - 'History Detectives' and 'Explore More' workshops, resources for supporting learning across the curriculum
- college and university students - support for project work and workshops including introductions to historical research and reading old writing
- teachers - guidance and advice on finding suitable resources, ordering copies and research, as well as workshops to find out more about our collections and how to use original resources in the classroom
- work experience - we offer a few placements each year for students in year 10 and above - students interested in a placement can find out more and fill in an application form
There are over 100,000 images of Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire available to search for free at Picture the Past. They can be downloaded for free for educational use.
Booking the Record Office
All bookings should be made at least one term in advance. Please contact us by phone or email to discuss your requirements. The booking will be confirmed on the receipt of a completed form. There's limited availability for workshops and we get booked up very quickly.
The maximum group size for all workshops at the Record Office is 15 (varies according to the session requested). A minimum of one adult to 6 pupils is required for key stages 1 to 4.
For workshops at your school, the maximum group size is according to your class.
The class teacher and a teaching assistant must be present. Additional charges apply for workshops delivered outside Derbyshire Record Office.
The following costs apply:
- school: £93 (workshops at your school will incur travel costs)
- college and university: see college and university students (a preparation fee of £63 may apply for significant adaptations to the standard session)
- copies: see our fees and charges attached to this page