Along with Derby City Council, we've been working on finding the best solution for dealing with waste that cannot be recycled or composted and which currently goes to landfill.
Details of current contracts held are provided below.
Resource Recovery Solutions (Derbyshire) Ltd
The councils have a long term contract with Resource Recovery Solutions (Derbyshire) Ltd (RRS). RRS is a wholly owned subsidiary of Shanks Group plc. Following a rigorous procurement process the contract started in April 2010 and is a joint contract with Derby City Council. Contract documents are attached to this page. Please note that schedule 19 and 20 are not used.
The contract includes the following elements:
- Disposal and treatment of waste after recycling and composting has taken place. A waste treatment facility and education centre is currently being built in Sinfin, Derby which will open in 2017.
- Bulking up of waste into larger vehicles at waste transfer stations in Alfreton, Glossop and Derby to reduce the distance waste collection vehicles have to travel.
- Transportation of waste.
- The management of nine household waste recycling centres.
- Provision of a dedicated waste minimisation and education officer.
We have a contract with Sita UK Ltd to operate the following council-owned facilities:
- An integrated waste management facility at Waterswallows, Buxton comprising a 10,000 tonne in-vessel composting facility, a waste transfer station (allowing us to bulk up waste for disposal/treatment into larger vehicles) and a household waste recycling centre. This facility takes green and food waste collected by High Peak Borough Council.
- A 40,000 tonne in-vessel composting facility at Arkwright near Chesterfield. This facility takes green and food waste collected by Chesterfield Borough, North East Derbyshire District and Bolsover District Councils.
Stanton Recycling Limited
We have a short term contract with Stanton Recycling Limited for composting green waste collected by Erewash Borough and Amber Valley Borough Councils.