Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

Secondary school admissions

Apply for your child's secondary school place.

Two secondary school children with hands up

The information in our parents' guide to secondary education can help you to choose a school and make an application.

For children transferring to secondary school in September 2019 applications should have been made by 31 October 2018. The closing date for applications has now passed but you can still make a late application.

If your child attends a school outside of Derbyshire which operates a different pattern of education and they are due to transfer to secondary school phase in September 2019, you should also have made an application by 31 October 2018 and the following information will also apply to you. Similarly, if you wish to express a preference for your child to transfer to a 14-19 Studio School or a University Technical College (UTC) in September 2018, you should also have made an application by 31 October 2018 and this information also applies to you.

You can make a late secondary school application from 7 November 2018 at 9am. 

Apply by telephone

You can make a telephone application through Call Derbyshire from 7 November 2018. Tel: 01629 533190 from 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday and from 9.30am to 4pm on Saturdays.

School preference

Parents have a legal right to express a preference for which school they want their child to attend.

This is not the same as being able to choose, but means that if a parent expresses a preference for a particular school and there are places available then a place should be offered at that school.

In law there is no automatic right to place a child in any particular school and it may not be possible to offer a place at a preferred school.

When applying for a secondary school place you must apply through the council covering the area in which you live, which may not be the same as where the school is.

If you don't live in Derbyshire you can find your local council.

Getting your offer

We'll let you know which school your child is being offered a place at on 1 March 2019. If you've applied online you can log in and see the result. You'll get an email about your place. All applicants will be notified by letter posted second class on 1 March 2019.


If you can't get a place for your child in the school you wanted, you can appeal against the decision. Your appeal will be heard by an appeal panel independent of the school and the council. Guidance is also attached to this page.

Changing secondary school at other times

You may want to apply for a place at a secondary school for your child at other times, for example if you have recently moved.

Find out everything you need to know about changing schools and how to make an application.