Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

Changing schools

Your child may need to move schools at a time other than when they start infant, junior, primary or secondary school. This may be because you're moving address.

We've produced a guide to help you understand the in-year admission process and the sort of things you'll need to consider as well as what information we will need from you.

You can find the guide attached to this page and you should read this before applying.

If you want to apply for a place at a school in another council area you should contact the council where the school is located in the first instance. If you don't live in Derbyshire you can find your local council.

You can apply for a school place at a school in Derbyshire. There is useful guidance attached to this page to help you through the process. We do not accept applications earlier than one term in advance of when the place is required.

Applications for places in early years settings, nursery schools and post 16 provision should be made directly to the establishment.

National lockdown

A national lockdown has been announced which means all schools are closed until at least February half term.

You can still make an application to us but please note we may not be able to process applications as quickly as normally if we are unable to contact schools to obtain a decision relating to your application. Any places offered will be effective once schools are able to reopen.

If you are a key worker or the application is for a vulnerable child, for example, a child in care, please ensure that you note this on your application so that these applications can receive priority.

Apply for an in year admission to primary or junior school

You can apply online to change schools at a time other than when your child is due to start infant, junior, primary or secondary school. We call this an in year application for admission to school.

Apply for an in-year admission to primary, infant or junior school

Apply for an in year admission to secondary school

Apply for an in-year admission to secondary school

You can also make an application by contacting Call Derbyshire, tel: 01629 533190. Or request a paper application form (form AF5) tel: 01629 537499.


If you are unable to obtain a place for your child in the school you wanted, you have the right to appeal against the decision.