Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

Due to essential maintenance, parts of the website may be unavailable on Saturday 26 October 2019 from 8am to 3pm. Apologies for any problems this may cause.

close alert bar

Primary, infant and junior school admissions

Apply for your child's primary, infant or junior school place.

Decisions on applications for children starting reception classes and transferring to junior schools in September 2019 will be emailed on 16 April 2019 by 09:30am. Or you can log on to view your allocation.

View your reception school allocation View your junior school allocation

If your child is due to start primary, junior or secondary education and you live in Derbyshire you should apply to us even if the school you want is located in the area of another council.

If you live outside Derbyshire you should apply through your home council even if you want to apply for a place at a Derbyshire school. You can find your local council at GOV.UK.

We have guides for parents available to help you apply for a secondary school place or to apply for a primary, infant or junior school place.

Apply for a primary or infant school place

If your child was born between 1 September 2014 and 31 August 2015 your child will be eligible to start school in September 2019.

You should have applied for their infant or primary school place by 15 January 2019. Decisions were notified on 16 April 2019 but you can still make a late application.

Make a late primary or infant school application

Apply for a junior school place

If your child was born between 1 September 2011 and 31 August 2012 and is in their last year at infant school they will transfer to junior school in September 2019.

If your child attends a school outside of Derbyshire which operates a different pattern of education and they are due to transfer primary school phase in September 2019 this information will also apply to you. 

Decisions were notified on 16 April 2019 but you can still make a late application.

Make a late junior school place application

School preference

Parents have a legal right to express a preference for which school they want their child to attend.

This is not the same as being able to choose, but means that if a parent expresses a preference for a particular school and there are places available then a place should be offered at that school.

However, in law there is no automatic right to place a child in any particular school and it may not be possible to offer a place at a preferred school.

When applying for a school place you must apply through the council covering the area in which you live, which may not be the same as where the school is.

If you don't live in Derbyshire you can find your local council at GOV.UK.

Changing school at other times

If you're moving to Derbyshire or want to apply for your child to move schools other than at the normal admission or transfer time, you can find out all you need to know on our  changing schools page.


If you're unable to get a place for your child in your preferred school you can appeal against the decision.

Guidance is also attached to this page.