Let's get the conversation about mental health and wellbeing started. Learn how to start talking about mental health.
If you or someone you know is struggling with a mental health emergency see our information on support available in a mental health crisis or call the Derby and Derbyshire mental health support line on tel: 0800 028 0077.
For further advice and support, see our mental health contacts page.
If you're interested in additional support services which includes phone, text and email opportunities then visit the Joined Up Care Derbyshire's emotional health and wellbeing website, which we've co-developed.
The importance of mental health
Mental health is an important part of everyone's life and good mental health and wellbeing is directly linked to good physical health.
Positive mental health and wellbeing is also linked to increased life expectancy, improved quality of life, better educational achievement and improved employment prospects.
Mental illness can range from mild periods of depression to severe conditions such as schizophrenia.
Each year 1 in 4 people will experience a mental health issue and the most common conditions are anxiety and depression.
On average 1 or 2 people in 100 will experience a severe mental illness.
Public health plays an important role in the prevention of mental health issues and the promotion of good mental wellbeing.
In this section you will find information about:
- support in a crisis - who to contact if you, or someone you care about, is experiencing mental ill health and is in a crisis or emergency situation
- emotional health and wellbeing - emotional health, or mental wellbeing, is about how you're feeling and how well you can cope with your day-to-day life
- young people's mental health - we work with lots of different people to help children and young people in Derbyshire improve their mental health and wellbeing
- suicide prevention - we're working with a range of organisations to tackle the complex issue around suicide
- information and contacts - support and advice services in Derbyshire and throughout the country
- mental health training - training to increase awareness, knowledge and skills around mental health
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter to keep up to date with the latest on mental health, suicide prevention and neurodiversity.