Whether you work in a hospital, care home, out in the community or simply have contact with older people on a regular basis there’s lot of advice available to help prevent them from falling.
Health and social care staff, volunteers and carers are being encouraged to follow the Ask. Assess. Act. procedure.
What to remember
Ask: about ageing well
Assess: risk of falling
Act: to reduce risk
Ask older people about how they are feeling, talk about ageing well and discuss how they can be supported to improve their health in order to reduce falls and stay independent.
Our Live Life Better Derbyshire service is a free, healthy lifestyles service that offers help on stopping smoking, losing weight and getting active.
Assess the older person’s risk of falling by asking them (or their family and carers) whether they:
- have had two or more falls in the last 12 months
- had a single fall and needed medical attention in the last 12 months
- are anxious or worried about falling and has one or more of the following risk factors:
- appears unsteady
- finds it difficult to get out of a chair
- takes 4 or more prescription medicines
Act on any immediate risk such as clutter, loose rugs or poorly fitting footwear and advise the older person to contact their GP to discuss their risk of falling.
A reducing falls guide is attached to this page.
FAST is a package of Telecare specifically for people with a risk, fear or history of falling and is available to anyone. There's no requirement for assessment and the cost to the client is £2.50 per week.
If you're going to be directly organising a FAST telecare package for a client then please contact the appropriate area:
- Amber Valley tel: 0300 4562531
- Bolsover tel: 01246 242309
- Chesterfield tel: 0300 3230076
- Erewash tel: 01246 592017 or 07515 922696
- Derbyshire Dales District tel: 01246 592017 or 07854 106310
- High Peak Borough tel: 0345 1294877 or OOH alarms 01323 644422
- North East Derbyshire tel: 01246 217670
- South Derbyshire District tel: 01283 225810