Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

We're planning essential maintenance on Sunday 22 July 2018 between 8am and noon, which may impact the website. We apologise for any problems this may cause.

close alert bar


We have powers to require the removal of obstructions on Public Rights of Way.

Obstructions on public rights of way present a serious problem to users. They rate as a high priority for the county council. Here is a list of the some of the problems we encounter:

We aim to respond to your report within 3 weeks advising you when we are likely to attend to your report.

Please note that it may not be possible to deal with your report immediately unless public safety is compromised. This is due to the volume of reports we get at certain times of the year.

How are obstructions resolved?
The process of resolving an obstruction involves finding the person responsible for the obstruction and then serving a notice for its removal.
We will serve a notice for the removal of an obstruction in all but very unique circumstances.

For more information about how and why we use notices please read our enforcement page.

I didn’t know there was a public right of way across my land!
Sometimes this does happen, however, you can easily check by asking us. Call Derbyshire on 08 456 058 058.

One of my neighbours has erected a new fence in the path on the other side of his boundary hedge. Can he do this?
If the path has an established width between hedges then in this instance we would consider this to be an obstruction and deal with it via a notice.

If you wish to report an obstruction please read our reporting a problem page before you report a problem.