Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

We're planning essential maintenance on Sunday 22 July 2018 between 8am and noon, which may impact the website. We apologise for any problems this may cause.

close alert bar

Definitive map and statement

This is the legal record for all known Public Rights of Way. It is available to view during office hours and by appointment.

To arrange a visit to our offices please email:

What is the definitive map?

This is a visual record on an Ordnance Survey base map showing all known Public Rights of Way.

What is the definitive statement?

This is a list of all known Public Rights of Way which offers a description of each route, in particular the start and finish point and general direction. It may also include details of the surface, the width and additional information.

How are paths referenced?

This may vary across England and Wales, however, in Derbyshire we refer to each one by the parish name, the status and a number, for example Matlock Public Footpath 70 or Brampton Public Bridleway 73.

If you know the name of the path it helps us to locate it immediately.

How do I find out the name of a path?

These are shown on the definitive map.

May I have a copy of the definitive map?

Our copyright license with the Ordnance Survey only allows us to supply you with an A4 photocopy of an area free of charge. However we are currently updating our maps to provide online digital copies.

You may view our progress on this by visiting the Mapping Portal of the Derbyshire Partnership.

Can you supply my parish council with a copy of the definitive map?

Yes. However they are supplied on loan to enable us to retrieve them for replacement and update them at a future date.

Parish councils are required to sign an agreement to that effect and to confirm that they will not be photocopied as this will infringe copyright.

I represent a walking group - may we have a copy of the definitive map for ……… ?

Yes. Please see the restrictions above.

Where can I see a copy of the definitive map and statement?

You can make an appointment at our offices. To do this please email:

Alternatively there may be a copy in your local library or local council office.

I am buying a property - how do I check to see if it is affected by a Public Right of Way?

Please check the online map for Public Rights of Way.

I walk a path regularly but it is not shown on the definitive map. What should I do to register the path?

You have a right to make an application to add a path to the definitive map.

For full details of how to do this, please download the application pack and advice notes from the more information section on this page. They are titled as follows:

  • WCA Claim Pack – Guidance Notes
  • WCA Claim Pack for Submission
  • WCA User Evidence Form

I would like to divert a path which crosses my land.

To find out more about diverting a path that crosses your land please read our information about Public Path Orders.

Apparently someone is claiming that a path goes over my land - where can I see the details?

Have a look at applications. These will allow you all the current applications to modify the definitive map and statement.

My deeds don’t show the path - therefore it doesn’t exist.

The deeds to your property may show the path but they are not the legal record for Public Rights of Way. Please consult the definitive map and statement.

According to my deeds I own the path - do I have any responsibilities towards this path?

  • You must keep it free of obstruction.

  • You cannot erect a gate or stile on the route without our consent.

  • We have a responsibility to maintain the path in a safe condition, however, if the path has shared access to premises there may be a joint responsibility with the owner of the land.

How wide are paths?

This depends on several factors.

  • There could be a legal width recorded in the definitive statement.

  • There may be an enactment which declares a width for the path.

  • If the path crosses arable land it will be subject to the Rights of Way Act 1990 and the required widths. Please read our Ploughed and Cropped Paths page for more details.

  • If a path has an established width between walls or hedges then this will be taken to be the legal width of the path, unless other evidence comes to light.

The path on the ground differs from that on the definitive map - how can I correct the map?

You may apply for a definitive map modification order. To find out how to do this, please download the documents from the more information section on this page.