Allergens: Contains egg, milk and gluten.
6 to 8 slices of white bread.
50g (2oz) butter.
400ml (14 fluid ounces) milk.
Pinch of salt.
Savoury version ingredients
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
half an onion, finely chopped.
2 rashers back bacon.
1 red pepper, de-seeded and diced.
25g (1oz) white cheese, grated.
Sweet version ingredients
half a teaspoon of vanilla extract.
50g raisins, other dried fruit or chocolate.
Savoury version method
- Preheat the oven to Gas 5, 190C, fan 170C.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onion until soft.
- Add the bacon and pepper and fry over a high heat until the bacon is browned.
- Butter an ovenproof dish.
- Thickly butter 1 side of the bread slices, cut into triangles and arrange in the dish.
- Spoon over the onion, bacon and pepper.
- Beat the eggs and milk together and pour over.
- Top with cheese and bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.
Sweet version method
- Preheat oven to gas 5, 190C, and fan 170C.
- Butter the bread, cut into triangles and place in an oven proof dish.
- Sprinkle over the raisins, other dried fruit or chocolate chips.
- Mix together the eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla extract to make the custard.
- Pour the custard over the bread and allow to soak for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle a little extra sugar over the top and bake for 20 to 30 minutes.
No bacon? Try ham, leftover roast chicken, sausage, salami - whatever you have in the fridge. Or leave it out for a vegetarian version.
Use any cheese or vegetables you have lurking in the fridge - leeks, tomatoes, mushrooms. Think bacon and blue cheese or brie, or chicken and leek. Try a teaspoon of dried herbs when you cook the meat and vegetables.