Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

Due to essential maintenance, this website may be unavailable for a short time on Saturday 28 or Sunday 29 May 2022. Apologies for any problems this may cause.

Using the secondary admissions guide

This guide is to help you make an application for a place for your child at secondary school. You should read all the information in this guide before making your application.

If you're a parent living in Derbyshire, excluding Derby city, the information contained in this guide explains how you can apply for a secondary school place for your child whether that school is in or outside Derbyshire. This does not include independent schools.

If you live outside Derbyshire but want your child to attend a Derbyshire school you should make the application through your home council.

We invite you to state preferences for any 3 schools and give your reasons.

We would prefer you to apply online. It's quick and it's free.

You can apply by phone through Call Derbyshire tel: 01629 533190. The contact centre is open from 8am to 6pm on Monday to Friday, and Saturdays from 9:30am to 4pm.

If for some reason you are unable to make an application either online or by telephone, contact us tel: 01629 537479.

How it works

You fill in one application form only, no matter how many schools you want to apply for. There is no need to fill out a separate form for each school.

Only make one application by phone or online, not one of each.

We act as a clearing house for admitting all Derbyshire pupils to secondary schools.

Supplementary forms

Some voluntary aided, academy and foundation schools may want you to fill in a supplementary form or provide documentation in addition to an application you make to us.

Look at the school's prospectus to see if this is the case. This is so that they can apply their own admission criteria. For example, they might want proof of your address or proof that your child has been baptised.

Supplementary forms are available from the relevant school and can be downloaded from the school's details where appropriate.

Any additional paperwork of that type should be returned to the school by the closing date. This supplementary paperwork is not instead of our application form. You'll still need to make an application to us.

Special educational needs

If your child has a statement of special educational needs or an education health and care plan, transfer is dealt with through the statement or the plan. You should contact us tel: 01629 536531.