Black and Minority Ethnic (BME) infrastructure, consultation and engagement
In 2006, we commissioned Links (the Chesterfield and North East Derbyshire Council for Voluntary Service and Action Limited) to help the development of a sustainable method for consulting and engaging with Black and Minority Ethnic (BME) communities in Derbyshire.
The programme of work focused on the development of a BME forum covering the county.
The programme included capacity building work with established BME community groups, and the identification and empowerment of new and emerging BME communities.
Representatives were recruited to the forum.
In the initial meetings BME community group representatives were given:
- background information on the project and what it is hoping to achieve
- information on topics which the county council would like to consult on
The forum groups were also asked to consider:
- appropriate consultation methods for the different communities they are representing
- specific issues which their communities would like to be consulted on
- how they feel they could contribute to the assessment of the council's performance
If you would like to know more about what the BME Forum does, or if you would like to attend a forum meeting please contact Mick Evans, senior policy and research analyst, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or tel: 01629 538474.