We work with relevant local organisations to make sure the health of Derbyshire residents is protected against a range of threats and hazards.
We aim to reduce any health inequalities in every area of work we're involved in, such as:
- infectious disease controls
- infection prevention and control
- prevention of germs that can make you ill becoming resistant to effective treatment
- seeking assurance regarding NHS screening programmes
- environmental sustainability and climate change
- poor air quality
- emergency preparedness, resilience and response (including severe weather response)
We're responsible for making sure that the health of the population of Derbyshire is protected by:
- the surveillance and monitoring of infectious diseases across the county
- receiving information about all local health protection issues and taking any necessary action in partnership with the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA), the NHS and other agencies
- reporting to the Director of Public Health how well programmes designed to protect health, such as screening and immunisation, are working
- working with partners to promote the importance of vaccinations and screening
- making sure key messages about infection prevention are shared with people who look after those most vulnerable such as social care workers
- working with partners and the public to prevent antibiotics becoming less effective
- working with environmental health teams in district and borough councils to reduce exposure to, and provide information on, environmental hazards
- contributing to the work of the Local Health Resilience Partnership and the Local Resilience Forum by providing public health input into our emergency plans
Public health incidents
UKHSA leads any initial response to public health incidents including the management of infectious diseases. This is done with support from our Director of Public Health and our health protection team.
If you need to report a health protection issue, contact the UKHSA for the East Midlands on 0344 225 4524.
Avian influenza (bird flu)
We also have information on bird flu and how to report it.