Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

Money, benefits and debt due to COVID-19

The current situation with the coronavirus outbreak may be causing you to worry about a wide range of topics including money, benefits and debt. This page has information about where you can go for help.

It's important not to ignore the situation if you think you might not be able to keep your financial commitments. Talk to your bank or lender if you're worried about being able to keep up your payments.

The government has lots of information about employment and financial support.

Self-isolation information and financial support

For advice and support, read more about self-isolation and financial support options.

Welfare and benefits advice

Welfare rights

If you're anxious about the financial impact of the current situation, we have information about the financial support available to Derbyshire residents. This includes information on benefits, help for renters and advice for job seekers.

Benefits checker

Citizens Advice have an online benefits checker that can help you check if you're entitled to any additional support.

Child benefit for newborns

Parents of newborns can claim child benefit without registering the child's birth while register offices are closed in response to the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.

First time parents will need to fill in a Child Benefit Claim form CH2 and send it to the Child Benefit Office and should add a note to the claim if they have been unable to register the birth because of COVID-19.

If people are already in receipt of child benefit, they can complete the form or add their new-born's details over the phone tel: 0300 200 3100.

For more information, see Don't miss out, claim Child Benefit by phone or post, HMRC tells new parents from

Statutory sick pay

Government is strongly advising everyone to work from home if they can. If you are classed as clinically extremely vulnerable and can't work from home, under current restrictions you are advised not to go to work. If you cannot attend work for this reason, you may be eligible for Statutory Sick Pay, Employment Support Allowance or Universal Credit.

Debt and money worries

Struggling to pay bills?

Citizens Advice have information and help if you can't pay your bills because of coronavirus.

The Money Saving Expert reports that energy firms are putting in place new measures to help prepayment customers unable to top up during the coronavirus pandemic.

Derbyshire Discretionary Fund

The Derbyshire Discretionary Fund (DDF) can provide grants or emergency cash payments if you are in urgent need of financial help following a crisis or disaster. There are criteria for who can receive the fund.

Money Saving Expert

The Money Saving Expert has lots of information across a wide range of subjects.

Loan sharks

Unregulated money lenders, also known as loan sharks, will take advantage of financially vulnerable people, especially in difficult times.

Find out more about how to protect yourself, what to do if you've borrowed from a loan shark and how to check a lender is reputable:

Council Tax

You can claim help with your Council Tax bill from your local district and borough council.

Each council is making extra help available to people affected by coronavirus who also qualify for Council Tax support.

Discretionary help if you are in exceptional financial hardship

Your local council may be able to assist you further with your bill if there are exceptional reasons for doing so

Council Tax arrears

If you're in arrears you may be able to hold off debt action and negotiate affordable payments directly with your local authority or with the help of an advice service such as Citizens Advice.


If you're worried that you may not be able to pay your rent this can be a big concern.

Citizens Advice have information about dealing with rent arrears.

Shelter has advice on issues to do with coronavirus including eviction and rent problems.

We also have advice on preventing homelessness.

Legal advice

Derbyshire Law Centre remains open for business providing free legal advice by telephone or email. They offer free confidential advice over issues regarding housing, debt, immigration, employment, discrimination and one-to-one personal navigator service.