Experience the joy of improving a young life through fostering
Helping a child grow up within a safe and nurturing environment is one of the most enriching and rewarding decisions you will ever make.
Fostering gives you the opportunity to shape a child's life. Their lifestyle, interests, personality, language, culture and unforgettable moments can all be influenced by you in your role as a foster carer; giving them all the opportunities they need to improve their lives for the better.
Experience satisfaction through fostering
Our foster carers tell us they like the excellent support and training opportunities. Feeling valued and getting support gives them satisfaction and makes them feel like they’re having a really positive impact.
If you're supporting a local child, we'll support you. We’ll make sure you have everything you need to give the best possible support to the young people in your care.
This includes extensive training before you have a child placed with you, and regular contact with dedicated case workers and other professionals.
We also provide ongoing professional development so you can continue to develop your skills and be the best possible foster carer for the children in your care.
By combining your own life experience with the training and support we offer, you'll feel confident making decisions whilst a child is in your care and be able to help them develop into confident, well-rounded young people.
When you foster for Derbyshire, you’ll receive a generous allowance and additional benefits to cover all the expenses of giving a child a positive experiences whilst in your care.
To help you care for the children placed with you, you will have additional support including:
- access to consultation with a specialist child and adolescent mental health worker (CAMHS social worker) to help you meet the emotional needs of children in your care access to a clinical psychologist who specialises in working with looked after children
- support from the Virtual School
- support from a specialist nurse to help you meet the health needs of children placed with you
- support and advice from the children's rights officer and advocacy service
- we run an IT grant scheme scheme for all foster carers we approve, the grant is offered to foster carers to buy IT equipment of their choice suitable for their fostering household
- free access to swimming and other leisure facilities