Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

Short break services for disabled children, young people and their families

Our Local Offer provides information for young people with special educational needs and disabilities, and their families. This includes leisure and activity providers, health and care services, education providers and support groups.

You can get information on services you can access without an assessment on the local offer. The local offer has details of clubs and activities for young people with additional needs.

We have a duty to provide short break services to disabled children and their families. If you feel that you need support or a short break and do not receive a service at the moment you can contact Call Derbyshire tel: 01629 533190 to request an assessment for support or short break provision. We'll talk to you about the type of support you may need and carry out a holistic assessment of your family.

Our short break statement has additional information on what we provide. This ranges from universal services to those tailored to meet the needs of young people with complex needs. We have specialist short break provision for young people with the most complex needs. This is provided following a needs assessment.

If you already get support but feel you need more, speak to your allocated worker to request a re-assessment.

We also operate a framework of providers that can be accessed by families independently or following a needs assessment. These have all gone through a tendering process before being accepted onto the framework. They provide a range of service including personal care, one to one support, overnight stays, and group support.

Short break services for children and young people with complex needs

For some children and young people, usually aged over 10, an overnight break can be an important part of a support package.

A disabled child or young person can enjoy positive activities away from home. It helps them prepare for adult life. This might include a stay with a foster family or link carer. It might be a regular or one-off activity break in their local community or one of our short break centres.

Families and carers get a real break from caring responsibilities, particularly where a disabled child has a very disturbed sleep pattern.

Weekend activity breaks and overnight stays are provided through one of our short break centres, the Light House in Derby and local voluntary organisations. You will find details in the framework of providers.

Families can choose whether we provide a service or get a direct payment to arrange services from one of our approved providers. We'll talk to you about these options as part of the plan agreed following an assessment.

Does my child qualify?

Children and young people will mainly be those who have:

  • a significant, permanent and enduring physical disability which leads to dependence on aids and adaptations
  • severe or significant global learning disability
  • severe and enduring communication disorder
  • autism with a severe or significant global development delay
  • significant sensory impairment

For more information speak to someone who is already involved with your child like a therapist, special educational needs co-ordinator (SENCO), nurse or social care worker. If you don't get a service at the moment you can contact Call Derbyshire tel: 01629 533190.