Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

Preventing homelessness

If you're struggling with finances and finding it difficult to pay your rent, it's important that you act as soon as possible to avoid becoming homeless.

Step 1

Talk to your landlord or letting agent about your financial position and see if they will accept a reduced rent.

The government has extended the time after which evictions can take place until 23 August 2020. Rent still needs to be paid and arrears made up but your landlord maybe able to help.

Landlords that want support and have questions can approach CallB4UServe hosted by Derby City Council to support landlords with queries. email or tel: 01332 641408.

Step 2

If you are concerned about your financial position and think that this could put your tenancy at risk then please seek advice.

Citizens Advice line

Derbyshire Districts, (Amber Valley, Derbyshire Dales and Erewash) tel: 0300 456 8390.

Chesterfield and North East (Bolsover, Chesterfield and North East) tel: 0300 456 8437.

Mid-Mercia (South Derbyshire) tel: 0300 330 9002.

Derbyshire County Council benefits advice

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 11am to 4pm email or tel: 01629 531535.

Money Advice Service

The Money Advice Service has information and advice about mortgage and rent problems.

Step 3

If you really think that your tenancy is at risk then please contact Derbyshire Law Centre who offer free housing advice for Derbyshire residents and employ a tenancy support officer.

Monday to Friday from 9:30am to 4:30pm.

Step 4

If you think you will become homeless in the next 56 days and have looked at other options in stages 1 to 3 and your tenancy is still at risk then you'll find more information on the housing and homelessness sections of your local district or borough council. Please do not leave this until the last minute. The more time you allow, the more options you will have.