Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

Managing your money or debts

Information and advice on how best to manage your money or debts.

Whether you are looking for help with loans and credit, dealing with debts or setting a budget, there are lots of local organisations who can help you.

It's important to check that the advice you are being offered is free and that you are not going to end up paying for the help you receive. You can get advice online, over the phone, or face to face.

If you are worrying about managing your money or feel things are getting out of control, then the sooner you begin to tackle the problem the better. Don't feel embarrassed. All those who work to support people with money worries know that these difficulties can arise for lots of reasons, and that it can be a big step to talk to someone about it.

Where to get help

Derbyshire Citizens Advice services offer advice over the phone or face-to-face.

Derbyshire Law Centre can help you with legal issues including debt and housing.

The Welfare Rights Service can offer advice if you need help with claiming benefits or appealing a decision.

The Money Advice Service has a range of information about money and debt, a web chat service and helpline, tel: 0800 138 7777 (calls are free).

Derbyshire Unemployed Workers' Centre can offer help with benefits including completing forms. It has outreach centres throughout the county and its main office can be contacted on tel: 01246 231441.

The Derbyshire Discretionary Fund may be of help if you are in urgent need of financial help following a crisis or disaster.

Managing money if you're on Universal Credit

If you've made a claim for Universal Credit, your first payment will be made monthly in arrears. Your first payment may be made slightly more than a month after your claim.

In most cases your payment will include housing costs (if applicable). If you rent your house, this means you'll be responsible for paying your landlord yourself. If you own your home and are paying a mortgage, please seek advice from the Welfare Rights Service.

If you think you'll struggle to budget with monthly payments, support is available. The organisations listed on this page will be able to support you or put you in touch with someone who can.

The Money Advice Service has developed a money manager tool and put together a guide on drawing up a household budget and managing monthly payments.

'It's about me Derbyshire' website

The 'It's about me Derbyshire website' contains lots of great free ideas and fun activities at no or low cost for all families.