Join the library
Our current services
Our libraries are open for the following:
Services currently unavailable:
- At Whaley Bridge library, browsing is available by appointment only. If you wish to book a slot to visit, please contact the library.
- At Old Whittington Library, there is currently no computer available.
- Melbourne Library, remains closed at present. When we have a date for reopening, we'll publish it here.
Visiting a library
No appointment is necessary, however each library has a set capacity, and dwell time may be limited to 15 minutes when we're busy. You may have to queue outside if the building is at capacity when you arrive.
A member of staff will ask you for your details for 'Test, Trace and Isolate', or if you use the NHS Test and Trace app, you should scan the QR code.
You are asked to use a hand sanitiser on entering the library, and you must wear a face covering, as per government legislation, unless you are in one of the exempt groups.
Health and safety measures are in place to ensure the safety of our staff and customers.
Browsing, borrowing and returning books
Self-service will be in use if available, and items should be issued in this way where possible.
Customers can borrow up to 24 items as usual. Books will be issued for the standard 3 week period, and the usual charges will apply.
Computer use, printing and photocopying
Computers are available to use on a pre-booked basis. Please contact the library you want to visit to arrange a 45 minute slot.
Printing facilities are available for the usual charges.
Photocopying facilities are available for the usual charges, and no appointment is necessary.
Computers and workstations will be cleaned between each use.
Our digital service
Our free e-lending and online service is continuing:
- We're providing digital resources for both adults and children (ebooks, e-audiobooks, e-magazines, and e-newspapers)
- Library Information Service (email and callback service to answer general enquiries, and assistance with digital queries)
- Derbyshire Parish registers can be accessed from home
- Derbyshire Libraries Facebook and Derbyshire Libraries Twitter events and activities:
- current children's activities include weekly storytimes, rhyme times, activity club, family bookshare, and ebook reviews
- current adult activities include ebook and e-audio mini reviews, wellbeing activities (cookery, craft, gardening videos), reading promotions (such as the Women's Prize), local history in pictures, and digital support and information weekly posts
Services that we're keeping under regular review
The following services are currently closed but we're reviewing when they will open again in line with local and national guidelines:
- mobile library service
- reader groups
- computer one-to-one sessions
- use of meeting rooms, events and activities
- toilets and baby change
- donations including food bank drop-off points
- study space
- volunteering opportunities
You can contact the Library Information Service on 01629 533444 and leave a message to receive a call-back from a member of the library service team. You can also email us: email@example.com
Examples of how the service can help include:
- help and advice on using a computer, tablet or smart phone
- locating contact details for organisations and support
- homework, hobbies and research
- support to access ebooks, e-audiobooks, e-magazines and e-newspapers