The annual festival is set within the beautiful grounds of Elvaston Castle Country Park, which add to the unique feel of this special event. Visitors also have the opportunity to explore the woodland, formal gardens, lake and parkland that surround the castle.
This is a brilliant day out for all the family with lots of fun activities for children and plenty to keep you entertained. Professional demonstrators and performers will share their amazing skills, from wood carving, turning, basket making and bushcraft to willow weaving, fire lighting and lots of opportunities for you to have a go.
This year we're hosting the Pif Paf theatre company who have some amazing visual entertainment, including:
- their show Seed - a surprising and inspiring hitch-hike on the journey from small acorns to great oaks with a rockabilly tree-planting anarcho-nomad. Join Wilford planting trees where he shouldn't - living in his shed and on the run from his past and his arch-enemies, slugs, out to get him for his contraband seed
- on the Sunday - join their bee cart walkabout. A fun theatre piece for audiences of all ages exploring all things bees and pollination including a chance to learn the waggle dance or get your nose pollinated!
The Vikings of Middle England are invading again to re-enact their times, crafts and traditions including a large living history camp and some amazing combat!
We also have:
- Green Man storytelling and visual theatre
- expert advice on orchards, pollarding and bees in woodlands
- a master wheelwright demonstrating the making of traditional hand-crafted cartwheels
- come and meet the working shire horses with a chance to stroke these gentle giants
- wild food and campfire cooking demonstrations
As part of our Journey to Net Zero we'll be promoting our tree campaigns like the Million Trees project and hosting the Fantastic Homes Van to give energy and tips on reducing your carbon footprint.
A huge array of stalls selling bespoke gifts, crafts, textiles, furniture and timber products. Hungry visitors will have a wide variety of food and drink to choose from – including vegetarian and vegan options. Wildlife, heritage and tourism attractions here to inspire you.
We look forward to welcoming both new and returning visitors for a great weekend this year.
Special event parking charges apply to all visitors that weekend:
- car £15 all day
- motorcycle £7.50 all day
- weekend ticket £20 - available on the Saturday
Payment is cash only.
No advanced ticket sales, pay at the gate on arrival. Payment gives visitors entry to both the festival and the country park on those dates. Dogs are welcome on leads. A designated disabled parking area will give close access from the showground.
What to expect
Take a look at our what's on guide and exhibitors directory and the Woodland Festival Flickr gallery to see images from previous festivals for an idea of what to expect.
Elvaston Castle Country Park is open all year round. With seasonal events, a café, shop, play and picnic areas. There are endless opportunities to explore the park and nature reserve. The buildings and gardens are both registered (Grade 2 and Grade 2*) as being of special architectural and historical interest.
Caterers and stall holders
New stall holder enquiries have now closed for the 2023 festival but please look out for our 2024 event.
Elvaston Castle Country Park
Borrowash Road (B5010)
Tel: 01629 533870