Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

Vehicles in the countryside

There are a number of routes in Derbyshire that are accessible to 'off-road' motor vehicles. We work with user groups to maintain an understanding of what rights exist and where potential users can get the right information.

We have a policy on recreational vehicles in the countryside. If you would like a copy please use our reporting a problem form.

Where to drive off-road in Derbyshire

We recommend that you make an appointment to view the definitive map and statement to find byways open to all traffic.

You may wish to buy an up-to-date Ordnance Survey Explorer Map or contact a local group for advice.

Laws for byways

You are bound by the same laws required to drive a vehicle on the road.

The vehicle must be taxed and insured.

Motorised trials

We welcome motorised events and we have a policy to enable us to approve events without too much impact on the landscape and other users of the network.

We'll usually support requests by authorising events under Section 33 of the Road Traffic Act 1988, however we've concluded that no event shall take place along the length of a route that doesn't have public vehicular rights. This means that the use of public footpaths, public bridleways and restricted byways will not be approved for use.

Crossing these routes is acceptable provided the crossing point is marshalled.

The guidelines and supporting committee report is attached to this page.