Alert close - icon Fill 1 Copy 10 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Untitled-1 Untitled-1 tt copy 3 Fill 1 Copy 10 menu Group 3 Group 3 Copy 3 Group 3 Copy Page 1 Group 2 Group 2 Skip to content

My child is deaf or hearing impaired

Guidance for parents and carers about help in school.

Schools have a responsibility to make provision for pupils with special educational needs.

We provide funding through normal school budgets to help schools to support pupils with special educational needs (SEN). We have produced The Derbyshire Descriptors of SEN Provision.

The descriptors offer guidance and advice to primary and secondary schools about the level and type of support they should provide for pupils with additional needs. They are used by us to monitor provision for pupils with SEN without a statement. They outline how schools should:

  • assess, plan and review provision
  • arrange teaching groups
  • adjust the curriculum and teaching methods
  • provide resources, such as access to additional support from a teaching assistant for up to 3 hours per week for pupils at School Action or up to 8 hours a week for pupils at School Action Plus

Your child may:

  • have a mild to moderate sensorineural hearing loss (permanent)
  • have a conductive hearing loss
  • use a hearing aid some or all of the time
  • have delayed speech and language skills - typical of a younger child
  • have a short attention span and poor listening skills
  • be anxious and reluctant to ask for help
  • find social interaction difficult
  • get frustrated because of his or her difficulties
  • be under-achieving

School can:

  • discuss your child with relevant professionals who visit the school and with you
  • find out from a teacher of the deaf about the implications of your child’s hearing loss and the best ways to help in school
  • get advice about the use and maintenance of hearing aids and radio aids, where necessary
  • talk to staff and students about deaf awareness and how best to help your child
  • arrange for your child to have some additional help in smaller teaching groups, for example to support language development or social skills
  • help your child by using appropriate teaching materials and making sure the classroom provides the best listening and learning conditions for your child
  • support your child’s self esteem and help them develop independence by providing learning tasks they can be successful at
  • involve you and your child in planning and in reviewing progress

Who else can help?

Schools have access to a range of professionals who advise on arrangements for supporting pupils who are deaf or hearing impaired. These include:

If your child has other difficulties as well as hearing impairment, all schools have access to county services which can offer support and advice for pupils with:

You or your child’s teacher (with your permission) can ask a speech and language therapist to see your child.

Your GP can make a referral for physiotherapy and occupational therapy, and will also advise on child and adolescent mental health services and voluntary services such as Barnardo's.

Other advice

We have published comprehensive advice and information on speech and language difficulties, dyslexia and autism.

Contact us

Derbyshire Educational Psychology Service
County Hall
Dale Road
Tel: 01629 536850

Derbyshire Parent Partnership
The Community Centre
School Board Lane
S40 1DD
Tel: 01246 273154 or 01246 273155

Buxton office tel: 01629 533535

Denby office tel: 01629 533815

The full version of the SEN Descriptors is available in every school.