Read the eligibility criteria for free childcare for 2-year-olds.
If you meet the eligibility criteria, your child can start a funded place with a childcare provider the term after their second birthday.
The hours can be flexible dependent upon your chosen provider's delivery model. So you can receive up to 15 hours per week over 38 weeks, or fewer hours per week over more weeks. But you should check with individual providers to find out if they're able to do this.
The funding will remain in place until your child becomes eligible for the 3 and 4-year-old funding.
When your child is eligible
If your child was born between:
- 1 January and 31 March you can claim a free place from the 1 April following their second birthday
- 1 April and 31 August you can claim a free place from 1 September following their second birthday
- 1 September and 31 December you can claim a free place from the 1 January following their second birthday
Apply for free early years funding for 2-year-olds
By completing your application online, you agree to your eligibility result being emailed to you.
Or you can apply by:
- texting 'Child' to 86555 (texts cost 10p)
- tel: 01629 539316 or 01629 535793 from 9am to 5pm on Monday to Friday
The 2-year-old funding team will process your application and on approval a 6-digit eligibility code will be generated. You'll receive an email confirming the eligibility code and your child's funding start date.
You'll need to present the code as proof of your eligibility to your chosen provider before your child can take up a funded place. Your provider will then arrange for your child to start with them.
You can choose any childcare provider within Derbyshire who is registered with Ofsted on the Early Years Register. They should have an overall rating of 'outstanding' or 'good' in their most recent Ofsted inspection report.
Providers must also have signed a contract with us to deliver early years entitlement funding for 2-year-olds. This includes childminders, pre-schools and day nurseries.